Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
User Profile
So I've been a heroin addiction for 12 years, I got clean about 10 months ago. Today I was feeling my neck and I felt something sharp pop out every time I moved it a certain way. I asked my roommate to look at it and she pulled it out and it was a needle that had broken off into my neck. Obviously using for as long as I had, it's not the first time a needle has broken off in me but it is the first time I missed it and didn't pull it out right away. AnywYs, it was extremely creepy feeling and I'm wondering if this might be the root of some of my issues right now. Since it's been just sitting in there for the last year if not longer. Swelling of hands, they burn and tingle and are constantly swollen plus I've been losing my hair for the last year as well. I'm a 29 year old female, I'll be 30 this next week. I'm not on any medications. I do have hepatitis C. I've had it for about 7 or 8 years. Blood tests are all normal except for the hep. Ultrasound was done and organs look normal. But I'm in pain daily because of my hands. I'm incredibly healthy as far as diet goes. Losing about 30 percent of your hair is unnerving as a female and hands swelling up isn't so attractive either. It's scary. I'll be trying to get on Harvoni soon here.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. It is a good sign that you have left your heroin addiction and your back on track. Needle stuck in your neck for more than a year should be evaluated for any needle Borne infections like HIV hepatitis other blood bone in diseases and local infections. If all that comes clear when you have nothing to worry about. Regarding Hepatitis C, you should know that it is now easily treatable and up to 99% remission rates with recent advance antiviral therapy. Just consult hepatologist and let them take care of your Hepatitis C. Also stay in touch with your psycho therapist and psychiatrist and addiction medicine therapist so that you don't get back to the addiction. Stay active, stay busy and be more involved in your daily life activities and play outdoor games and stay out of home as much as you can. Keep a good company and avoid bad influences. Rember the better your daily lifestyle is, the better are the chances of you staying off the hook.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.