Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Need urgent advice on back vertibrae

Hi,

I've been in a car accident a year ago, I was to a osteopath and he said it was just back muscles. So I went on..but now the pain is back, I went to the Dr yesterday and we took X rays. L4 and L5 has " grown" attached on each other plus my cushion in between is very flat. So the damage was more than we thought. I'm a pilot so this worries me a lot! What can I do to recover it or make it better again? Will the backpain go away? I have so many questions on it. Could someone please help me? The back pain is on my left side and goes from that dimple on your back to inside my left bum. I can't really pick up anything, it's so sore.

Thank you
Surette
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 7th, 2013
It sounds as though you have degeneration of the disc causing the two vertabrea to basically cause pain. Bone on bone basically. It sounds as though you may have nerve pain, sciatic pain which has gone into your buttocks. I'm not a dr but I've had the similar situation and I had to have surgery where they took part if my hip bone and fused the vertabrea because my disc was herniated and causing pain as well. So naturally I have lost a little flexibility and with age everyone's back begins to go. Meaning wear and tear. The only things you can do is watch your weight. Make sure your core muscles are strong and stretch your hamstrings bc that can pull on your back worse. Physical therapy, pain management and multiple professional opinions before you let anyone do a surgery is my suggestions.
|

replied July 7th, 2013
Does that help? Icing or heating pad helps as well. Does that answer any questions?
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...