Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

need to alter her medications ?

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
User Profile
I am asking this query on behalf of my mom and have provided all her details below,
My mother has Hypertension and Diabetes from the past 30 years and she has been on hba1c levels of 7.5% from past few years.Her blood pressure control is at 140/80 from past few years,she needs to take multiple medications to keep them at these levels.She monitors her blood pressure twice a week at home ,my only concern been she has some high blood pressure values of 160/90 occasionally whereas usually i.e 80% of her readings are 140/80 or below.Does she need to alter her medications to accommodate for these occasional high readings?
Also is a diuretic a proper medicine for diabetics as it has been known to affect the fibrinolytic balance which is already disturbed in diabetics?.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2011
High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Answer A19824
Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out. As per the American Diabetes Association Guidelines, before meal sugar should remain between 90-130 mg% and post meal glucose should be < 180 mg % and HbA1c should be < 7.0 %.

The blood pressure should be <130/80 mmHg. The drugs which a diabetic should take for lowering the blood pressure should be either ACE inhibitors like enalapril, ramipril or ARB's like olmesartan, telmisartan etc.

Diuretics should be avoided in diabetics as they tend to raise the blood sugar. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.