Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

need help with girlfriend with paranoid scizophrenia?

My girlfriend recently had an emotional breakdown in the office due to depression, which was triggered, I suspect because of her paranoid shizophrenia.

She has always been suspiscous of me cheating on her for the two years we've been dating.

Now she really believes I got married to another colleague.

She is incapable of going back to work.Most of the time, she now behaves like a little child and talks with a child's voice.

She has memory loss, paranoid about everyone trying to plot against her, depression, bipolar behavior.

I found out from her father that she had a history of those symptoms before.

She is now on medication and sees a psychiatrist once a week.

Her parents don't want me to see her anymore because they think that she will not recover if I am in her life.

Is this true? How can I help her recover?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi wilsonosw and welcome to ehealth: It is difficult dealing with an illness in someone you love...However, you must listen to her family...I would suggest you talk to someone knowledgeable of this condition...They will be able to explain to you the problems of your relationship with her...I don't know if you can help her recovery...Take care...

Caroline
|

She called me today and ask me why I'm doing this to her. She said that she had done nothing to me... why am I hurting her. She's totally convinced that I just got married to another girl who is my colleague whom I have no feelings for.

How do I respond to that?
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Hi again: You may want to talk with her Father to find out the best route to take with this problem...I am sure he would be able to guide you so that she will not be hurt...I hope everything goes well....Take care..

Caroline
|
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....