Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

need help not sure how to talk to my schizophrenic spouse

User Profile
I have been with my soulmate going on a year now about 6 months into our relationship the signs of schizophrenia started to set in ( not diagnosed ) things have become really hard between us being told that they cant handle another person ie. (me) because they cant get away from the voices that the voices have started to take over most of their energy and thought process I love them so much and only want to help them as much as possible I sit up late at night reading as much as possible on all of this and from what little I have been told schizophrenia seems to be what is going on from all of the research I have done I have found that niacin might help with the voices and them not being able to sleep (night terrors for over 20 years) and raising their serotonin levels could help ok well here is my dilemma no matter how much its been talked (not talked) about they say that they might try something as long as its not meds but when I bring them an idea like the niacin and raising serotonin levels they make up excuses or flat out ignore me what can I do to get them to at least try something if not for me at least for themselves and their child I just want them to be able to function as much as possible this has caused issues between us that where never here before I'm at a loss
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Schizophrenia is a serious and lifelong disease which can not be cured but can be controlled. It’s a condition which seeks medical attention as soon as possible and self diagnosing won’t help. My advice to you would be to see a doctor as soon as you can in order to get diagnosed so you can be started on medication without any further delay.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Schizophrenia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.