Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

NEED HELP! Digestive Mystery Still Unsolved

Hi, and thanks for taking a look at my post!

I am a 21 year old Caucasian female, 5’3” and 120 pounds. I am a relatively healthy person with an active lifestyle. However, in the past two years, I have developed a strange condition that doctors seem unable to give me an answer about.

For the past two years, I have lived with a chronic digestive problem that is difficult to describe. I think of it as vomiting in my mouth, but I am not typically able to expel this vomit. It is typically liquid in form with some occasional semi-solid pieces. Maybe once or twice a day, this vomit will come all the way up into my mouth (sometimes feeling acidic, other times feeling only like water or tasting of what I have recently eaten). I typically reswallow this immediately. But much more frequently— easily over 100 times every day— I feel the liquid come up into my throat and then sort of gurgle back down into my stomach. This is perhaps slightly uncomfortable, but not painful. Involuntarily, I make a sound which resembles a cross between burping and wretching every time this happens, something I am very self-conscious about. This condition is made worse by pretty much anything. Eating, drinking, bending down, standing up, lying down, turning over, even brushing my teeth— anything I put into my body or do to change its position makes it worse. The strangest thing is, aside from this throat-vomiting, I have no digestive ailments. I do not suffer from heartburn, nausea, constipation, or anything of the sort.

I have seen doctors about this issue, to no avail. I was originally diagnosed with GERD and was prescribed acid reflux medication. However, even after trying three different brands and dosages, these antacids made no difference in my symptoms. I then did a Barium Swallow Test and an Upper Endoscopy, both of which came back normal. The lack of acid erosion in my esophagus made my doctor believe that this is not an acid-based problem. She believed that something in my brain was telling my stomach to regurgitate semi-digested matter from the top of the stomach (therefore less acidic) and prescribed a medication which targeted my brain. This, too, was a failure. My doctor now recommends that I do an Esophageal Manectomy and a 48-Hour pH Test to think about other possible diagnoses.

Honestly, I’m a little bit at the end of my rope here. I don’t know what’s wrong with me and am frustrated because I am an otherwise-healthy young woman. I can’t find anything that matches my symptoms online, and my doctors seem at a bit of a loss, too.

If you have ever experienced or worked with someone who had symptoms similar to mine, I would appreciate any and all guidance. I want to figure this out! Thank you for reading and for any assistance you can give.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....