Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Need descriptions of Hallucinations and Auditory Sensations

Hi everyone, my name is Anthony. I'm not schizophrenic, but I do suffer from depression. I'm writing a sequel to an animated film of mine about a depressed cop. At one point during the film, he has to help a person suffering from schizophrenia. I want to do the schizophrenic character justice and not make him seem like the typical guy you see in movies. Even though both characters have sort of an encounter with each other, I want people to like the schizophrenic character and realize he's only a threat because of the things he's mentally perceiving.

So here's my question, what sort of things do people with this condition see? Could you all give me some different examples? I know it must be different for everyone, that's why I ask this. Also, what do you think you would see if you had two cops coming after you? Would this affect the things you saw? Would you see the cops as people or something else? I would really appreciate your input. Just so you'll know I'm for real on this and not trying to make fun of you or anything, below is my imdb page for my first film featuring the depressed cop I mentioned earlier. I really really need you guys help! There's not much documentation online that give descriptions on hallucinations from sufferers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0824307/
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 26th, 2008
Experienced User
The vast majority of schizophrenics are not dangerous, for any reason. This majority suffers because of the tendencies of the select few, which are then overblown by the media and made into a stereotype. As to hallucinations, I don't have any, but paranoid schizophrenics often talk about being part of an FBI plot, being followed, watched through cameras implanted in their surroundings, laughed at or being talked about. So through their sickness they are usually the victims and not the aggressors.
|

replied March 26th, 2008
Well, the guy in the film actually is the victim, but I'm not trying to give the plot away or anything. It just so happens that the police find him isolated by himself and as they do so, he's in the middle of experiencing some hallucinations that end up causing the depressed detective in the story some anxiety and a panic attack while trying to help him. It's hard to explain, but believe me, it's not going to make schizophrenics look bad. Police officers and people in the medical profession loved my first film because they thought it handled the subject of depression in an informative way, while making the main character look completely capable and normal. I suffer from depression, so that was my goal all along. I really want people to understand what schizophrenia is like too because people always just dismiss it as being crazy or being in contact with demons...and I want to change that misconception.
|

replied March 26th, 2008
Experienced User
That's great that you're doing this then. Honestly on sites such as these there are mostly people that wonder if they have schizophrenia, and they usually don't, so it's hard to get any real information. I've heard though from others that they think they are in the Truman Show. I never saw that movie or show, but it keeps recurring in schizophrenic accounts.
|

replied March 26th, 2008
Hmm...thanks for that information. I got an idea what they must mean by that, since I saw the movie.
|

replied April 23rd, 2008
I've talked to inanimate objects, such as the bodies of dead pets, dolls, etc., which appeared to be able to move at the time, and I also once had the hallucination of going to both heaven and hell. It was very strange, but that's my input for the day. Oh, and plenty of monsters... I also thought the world was out to get me.
|

replied April 23rd, 2008
Thanks for the reply. It really comes in handy knowing this. By the way, did the dolls talk back? If so, what did they say? What did the monsters do?
|

replied April 24th, 2008
They would either tell me to kill others or kill myself, depending, and for some reason I thought that the monster was the driving force behind all the voices and the dolls and everything... It was quite crazy, thinking back on it. Please keep in mind that my case of schizophrenia is of the very extreme and very uncommon sort, and I've also got bipolar disorder so I tend to get the symptoms mixed up a bit.
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
But it is demons.

Just thought that you should know, it's just that they can screw with people, sometimes the people don't even know it is them, but like me, sometimes they want you to.

I was always the one threatened actually, mine never told me to hurt anyone, only help them and myself, they actually told me I was the one to be hurt, and oh how true it became.

They know alot about people and their intentions by the way, they've been watching for a very long time.
|
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....