Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Neck Twitches I think it's just stress and worry?.

Hi everyone. It's my first time posting here. But I have an issue every once in a while with my neck. I think it's caused by stress or by me worrying about someone looking at me.

I'm a confident 27 year old man, I don't scare easy in public speaking or talking to anyone in authority. My mind is clear, and I emotionally feel ok, but for some reason every once in a while when I know someone is looking at me, because I'm in a conversation with them, my neck gets really stiff on the left side then it twitches or spasms for one second or so.. I can't control it, if I make my self sit really still it just makes it worse. The only way I can kinda off stop it is to pretent to rub or crack my neck or tap my foot and, or play with something in my hand, like a little band I have on my wrist I take off and mess with to keep my brain busy moving something.

I recently had to stand up in front of at least 100 people this month twice. No major nerves, and my neck was A-Ok. It happens really when I'm talking to someone ot two people or so one on one. I've never been a shy person and so nothing really bothers me "That I know off". I do get jumpy sometimes if I hear really loud banging noises in my apartment block, due to some trouble I had a last year. But I had these twitches long before any of that. That's why maybe I think it's just stress and worry?.. I also find my self always needing to keep my hands busy or tap my right foot twitches or not, I've been a fiddler always playing with stuff in my hands, dropping it, starting again, dropping starting again so on.. kinda annoying.

So if anyone has any ideas whats causing these twitches or spasms please let me know. It would be a great help. I really do hope I'm Not mentally ill.. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
This is due to anxiety. You would need anxiolytic like propanolol and psychotherapy sessions like CBT to combat this problem.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Anxiety, Stress
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.