Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Neck Lump Cervical Posterior

Hello everyone, I'm a long time reader of this board, but this is my first post.

For as long as I can remember (at least 6-8 years, but it may have been around even longer than that), I'm had a lump the size of a pea in my left Posterior Cervical area of the neck. From the best I can tell, it's never gotten any bigger, and it was never tender (although it is a little tender now, as I've been constantly rubbing it for the past two weeks Embarassed). It is mobile when I push on it and I would say has a rubbery consistency.

I've had it checked out by 2 GPs and a nurse, and no one seems concerned about it, saying it just must be a lymph node. I don't seem to have any other symptoms that would suggest lymphoma.

However, my doctor didn't tell me a reason why it may be chronically "enlarged". When I was a child (I'm 21 now), I constantly had ear injections. From lurking around forums and webpages I found what is called a "Shotty Lymph Node", which sort of seems to describe my problem.

What just worries me is that I've read that some lymphomas can be slow growing, but I'm not really sure how slow is "slow". Would I have noticed a significant enlargement of the lymph node by now is there was some sort of malignancy?

Thanks in advance for any help you may have!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Is the swollen lymph node located at the junction between the back of the head and neck?
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
This is not significant clinically.
Slow growing lymphomas are also usually generalized.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.