Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Neck and Shoulder Pain Tried general excercise stretches...

I've had a constant pain in my the left side of my neck and my left shoulder for the past few days, and can't think of anything I might have done to cause it. Most of the time it's not so bad, but hurts a lot more when I reach or lift with my RIGHT arm, or if I tilt my head to the left. Tried some general excercise stretches to work out the kinks, and taken some paracetomol. No joy.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 17th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
It would be a good idea to go to a doctor for an x ray. If you are in your late forties or older there is a good chance you have torn the rotator cuff in your shoulder. A simple ultrasound should be able to reveal whether this is the case.
|

replied April 17th, 2012
Experienced User
I had something similar back when I was in high school. I had pain from my head to the tips of my fingers. The Dr said I had strained the shoulder joint. He told me to not use it , wet heat and 500 mg naproxen.Since that was 30 + years ago I don't remember how long it took to heal up.
|

replied April 22nd, 2012
It is a good idea to get things checked out by a doc if you're in a tremendous amount of pain. It's very unlikely you've done any serious damage, though an x-ray or MRI may show you signs of tears in your shoulder or even possibly bulging neck discs. It is important to note that those diagnostic tools are not even close to 100% accuracy in diagnosing causes of pain, however, so don't get scared by them. At my office I see similar symptoms all the time. It's usually just a simple muscle imbalance issue that can be resolved with specific stretches and the retraining of the right muscles. If you can find a good orthopedic massage therapist or a Rolfer, you may be able to get the issue solved pretty quickly.
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...