Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Near Fainting after Gym Induction

Hi
I lead a relatively sedentary lifestyle and exercise only occasionally which is usually a short jog or sets of push ups/sit ups
I havn't done any regular exercise since leaving college 4 years ago
I'm now 21, 6" 1, Weigh roughly 11 stone 3 pounds

So i decided to join a gym to improve my general fitness and eventually build some muscle mass
I had my gym induction earlier today and the instructor showed me and a friend how to use the treadmill, bikes, rowers and crosstrainers. She did not ask about my lifestyle or my general health other than if i had diabetes .etc. and she pushed us what i would consider to be way too hard for someone who hasnt maintained any exercise for that long. Having had no warm up (i had had breakfast) we were spending roughly 7-8 minutes on each machine on quite fast/resistant settings on each machine quickly after one another
After getting off the rowing machine and standing talking for 3-4 minutes i began to feel suddenly dizzy and nauseous which gradually worsened to the point where i couldnt see anything at all (it was like a gradual build up of light - felt the same as when you stand up too quick and get a rush of blood to the head) for at least 10 seconds as i stumbled to the toilet. When i sat down it slowly relieved my symptoms. I then stood up shortly after and they began to worsen again.
Can anyone suggest if this is just a natural reaction to the shock of over-exertion or could there possibly be some other medical reason for this happening?

My friend is in a similar situation and also had similar symptoms however they were much more mild

Thanks for your help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2012
Excessive physical exertion in a person in relatively poor physical condition can cause the symptoms you describe. So be smart, and introduce your body to physical activity in a reasonably slow and planned manner. In the long run that will be best both for your physical development and cardiovascular health.
Please be aware that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fitness , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.