My 9 year old daughter has had Mono for 5 weeks now. Her one and only complaint is nausea. She wakes up with it and goes to bed with it. Her diet consists of 2 pieces of toast in the morning, won-ton soup for lunch, boiled chicken and applesauce for dinner. If she even takes a bite of something not as bland as what she usually eats, she's in bed with terrible queasiness. I have her taking Vitamin C (ascorbic acid form), and a little coconut oil on her toast. Her doctor prescribed 6 pills of Zofran to help with the nausea that I will start to give her in the morning. Has anyone else had this kind of nausea and a bad fullness feeling? She says she feels like her stomach is twice it's size. If so, how long did it last? Thanks for any advice.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 21st, 2009
My daughter is 18 and had mono in January, and got a bit better, and then relapsed last month. Each time her stomach hurts and is bloated. Now she is having horrible belching and trapped gas it doesn't seem to matter what she eats. She has gotten so small she can't afford to lose any more weight.
Her spleen was enlarged, and obviously still is. she can no longer wear a bra, it puts too much pressure on her spleen.
I am not sure what to do at this point. I have her on a gluten free, dairy-free diet for a week or two to see if it helps or not.
I hope you find an answer, if you do let us all know!
|

replied March 5th, 2010
My 15 year old daughter has the same type of symptoms. Terrible stomach aches and pain. She got to the point where she could not walk on her own. Bland diets seem to help and I have her on VS-C and liquid cholorfyll (nature's sunshine) both are natural and help with immune system balance. The liquid cholorfyll coats the tummy to ease the discomfort. My girl has been sick for 9 weeks.
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2010
Experienced User
It will go away on it's own. The reason for the nausea is the virus went to the liver. It sucks, been there, done that. I take promethazine for it, works okay, but makes you tired. The best thing, is lots and lots of fluids to help flush the liver. But it will go away within a month or 2.
|

replied March 22nd, 2010
I was just diagnosed with mono after suffering from chronic nausea since novemeber, now that i know what is causing it i feel a lot lot better but still nauseas. it has been getting worse in the past month or so, so im not sure if what im doing is helping or hurting it.I'm going to try to spend a lot of time indoors resting and relaxing now. I just want this horrible nausea to go away
|

replied March 27th, 2010
After mono (I don't remember if I had it during..) I started getting terrible nausea and this horrible bloated feeling even if I only had two bites of food. A few months later I realized it was heartburn. Maybe you should check into it. My only symptom at first was nausea and a full feeling. Nexium helped me a lot..
|

replied November 17th, 2014
I'm 14 and I was diagnosed with mono and have had it for about 8 days now. I'm feeling extremely upset and frustrated because the nausea never seems to go away, and although vomiting makes it feel better, it hurts my week body to vomit and I've barely been able to eat anything so Hardly anything comes out. Gross I know. In addition I'm terrified that it's going to last up to 9 weeks because Im so fed up with this I don't know if I can take another day of it!! Also in so thirsty all the time but drinking or swallowing ANYTHING hurts and is almost unbearable. The only thing getting me through this horrible nightmare is knowing other people are going through this too. I'm taking 2 tablets of ibuprofen 3 times a day as directed by my doctor and Ive been in urgent care two times now. I'm just frustrated that there's not really anything you can do. This sucks.
|

replied September 22nd, 2017
i'm 14 and have had mono for only 6 days now. i have the little white stones in my throats and my lymphnodes have gotten very swollen. i am always nauseous and keep throwing up. i can barely eat anything without throwing it up. i'm always exhausted and have already missed so much school and my sports. it's sucks lol:( and homecoming is in 2 weeks
|
Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...