Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Nausea Forum

Nausea every time I wake up?

Before I go into details; I am 100% certain I am not pregnant and I have an appointment with my doctor next Thursday (it's the earliest I could get in) This post is mostly because I have horrible crippling anxiety and am at a loss when it comes to my symptoms.

A little over a week ago I woke up at 5:30 am feeling really groggy with really heavy eyes and the feeling that I was about to be sick. I didn't feel especially nauseous, I just felt suddenly like I was about to dry heave. I got up, had a pretty bad panic attack and after about twenty minutes of sipping water and trying to control my breathing the feeling passed. I went back to bed and woke up later in the morning feeling fine. I thought it might be stress because it was the morning before a busy day and a busy week. The next night, I woke up at around the same time, this time mostly with anxiety...so yeah...seemed to fit my suspicion...until it started happening every single morning.

Sometimes I wake up an hour after falling asleep, sometimes two hours feeling groggy and a little bit like I need to gag, like my stomach is super sensitive for some reason and literally anything could set it off. After a few days this started happening literally every time I woke up, regardless of the time. If I slept a half an hour, I'd wake up feeling like I could start gagging, at the same time, I started feeling sick after getting up in the morning too. It always passes after about 20 to 30 minutes and so far I haven't actually done any gagging or retching or anything. I also don't have these symptoms at all for the rest of day. Once they fade, they don't come back while I'm awake.

Then a few days ago, I also started getting night sweats and would wake up shivering and this morning I woke up with the feeling that my throat was tight and I think my lymph nodes are a little swollen.

I tried a number of things to alleviate this over the past week. I read about low blood sugar but eating doesn't actually seem to make much of a difference. The nausea seems to just pass with being up for a short time...it doesn't matter if I eat something or not and having some of the recommended snacks at night or during the day has made no difference. Additionally I can go hours during the day while working on an empty stomach with no problems. (although since this has started I have tried to avoid going long periods of time without eating just in case)

I considered an infection of some sort, as I am prone to sinus infections and the weather has been bad lately. I've had some symptoms like sinus pain, teeth sensitivity, and a fullness in my ears, but those symptoms haven't consistently been there and these symptoms are very minor compared to what my sinus infections usually feel like.

I also considered acid reflux, because I have stomach issues (kind of goes hand in hand with the anxiety) but I've been careful with my diet since this has started. I even cut back a bunch on coffee...which is something I normally am stubborn about. I've taken zantac a couple times after waking up and once before falling asleep and again it really didn't seem to make a bit of difference.

Sooo...what could cause this weird feeling every time I wake up? I'm starting to worry and I still have a week until I can see a doctor about it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2018
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are consistent with anxiety and panic disorder. I would suggest you to consult psychiatrist to evaluate you.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|

replied July 15th, 2018
Update:
I couldn't wait for Thursday. Started waking up with a very distinct...unwell feeling. It kind of felt like infection, but like I said my sinuses weren't acting up like they usually do when they're infection. I went to Urgent care a couple of days ago and after confirming that there were no signs of infection in the ears and sinuses they took a urine test and found infection there. So yeah...apparently I have a bladder infection albeit with very little pain. There's some tightness and ache in my lower stomach but I've had IBS since I was 16 and barely notice stomach pain unless it's more severe. Still a little worried and still keeping my appointment on Thursday for now, but after two days of antibiotics, I'm still getting some night sweats and that gagging feeling, but I feel less run down and better during the day.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Nausea , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.