I am a 45 year old female and have been experiencing night time nausea for about 3 weeks now. It hasn't occurred every night but most nights. I take a proton pump inhibitor called Losec for GERD. I am not experiencing the usual burning in my throat feeling I had before with the GERD so was wondering if it might be something else. I am pretty sure that I am not pregnant so I can rule that out. Any thoughts or suggestions?? Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2013
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

It could be that losec alone is not relieving the symptoms completely. So take an antacid gel after dinner and see if it helps. Liver and kidney dysfunction is another cause. Hence kidney and liver function tests should be done. Other causes are diabetes and hypothyroidism. Electrolyte imbalance too can cause nausea. IBS, gluten or lactose intolerance, parasites in gut too can be the cause. A stool test should be done for worms, giardiasis etc. Chronic hepatitis or chronic infection of the gall bladder are the other possibilities.

Also if nothing is found then food challenge test to detect food intolerance should be done. Keep a food diary and see if there is a co-relation between what you eat and symptoms that appear. Chronic constipation, sedentary life style building up gas in the gut, inflammatory bowel disease, food rich in sulfites (molasses, dry powder, pickles, tinned shrimp, cookies, crackers, and readymade pie dough), cabbage, raddish etc also cause bloating and nausea. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Dr. Kokil Mathur for this post: chickadee45 
Quick Reply
Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Nausea , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.