Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Nausea and gastrointestinal infection

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
On Dec. 16, 2009, I became very ill with what I believe was food poisoning. I had chills, vomiting, dizziness, faint feeling, cramps, and diarrhea. The worst of it was over within a day, and two days later I felt perfectly fine. A week after that, I again had minor vomiting, slight chills and diarrhea. I assumed that I wasn't fully recovered and what I ate the night before "irritated" the food poisoning and became sick again. I've had bouts of nausea every couple of days since.
I am currently taking birth control pills (have been for 2 years) but am not the best at remembering to take them on time. I usually forget one day and then take two the following day. More often than not, I take two pills every other day. I am sexually active and do not use condoms or the pull out method. The date of my last period was Dec. 18. I took a pregnancy test on Jan. 15 & 16, both negative.
Could I be pregnant, or could this recent sickness be messing with my cycle,even though I already had a period?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2010
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A9412

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. Since you had bouts of food poisoning recently before nausea, chances of this nausea being due to gastrointestinal infection are greater. But we cannot completely rule out the possibility of pregnancy because of your irregularity in taking the birth control pills and having unprotected intercourse during those days when you missed the pills. I would suggest that you get a serum HCG test done from a gynecologist to confirm the status of your pregnancy.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For an exact diagnosis, you are advised to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.