Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Nausea Forum

nausea after she eats meals for approximately three weeks.

User Profile
My daughter is 16 years old she has been complaining of nausea after she eats meals for approximately three weeks. She is 5'7" approx. 180 lbs. She has headaches almost daily. She hasn't been eating as much as usual because of the nausea. Any advice to fix what may be wrong would be of great service. I can't take her to the doctor because I currently don't have a job and can't afford it.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 4th, 2014
Nausea Answer A49876
Thank you for asking

The timing of the nausea or vomiting can indicate the cause. When appearing shortly after a meal, nausea or vomiting may be caused by food poisoning, gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining), an ulcer, or bulimia. Nausea or vomiting one to eight hours after a meal may also indicate food poisoning. However, certain food borne bacteria, such as salmonella, can take longer to produce symptoms.

But as she is young other aspects of life like menstrual history and drug history and psychologic hisotry needs to be evaluated to rule out other causes of nausea.

Motion sickness or seasickness
Early stages of pregnancy (nausea occurs in approximately 50%-90% of all pregnancies; vomiting in 25%-55%)
Medication-induced vomiting
Intense pain
Emotional stress (such as fear)
Gallbladder disease
Food poisoning
Infections (such as the "stomach flu")
Overeating
A reaction to certain smells or odors
Heart attack
Concussion or brain injury
Brain tumor
Ulcers
Some forms of cancer
Bulimia or other psychological illnesses
Gastroparesis or slow stomach emptying (a condition often seen in people with diabetes)
Ingestion of toxins or excessive amounts of alcohol

I hope it helps.

Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Nausea , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.