User Profile
has anyone heard of aloe vera juice to help relieve symptoms of acid reflux? If so could you share your experience with this remedy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2012
Experienced User
I have heard of people finding some comfort from Aloe Vera. And there are all sorts of alternative remedies others have tried: a spoonful of cider vinegar in water before eating is popular.

However, I do urge caution when researching alternative remedies. Web searches are likely to find charlatans trying to prey on the vulnerable by selling the secret they have discovered that heals GERD. Usually they will tell you to eat apples - though others may swear a different fruit is the panacea and I have even found someone suggesting lettuce.

Whereas for some, some relief may be experienced with the alternative remedies, they have not been shown to be effective at reducing acid nor reflux and I caution people not to think they are preferable to the drugs which have been developed over many years with considerable testing and peer reviewed research into their efficacy.

To help prevent acid reflux requires drugs to reduce acid and lifestyle changes to reduce reflux.

Aloe vera may be like putting cold water on a burn to soothe it. It doesn't stop you getting burned in the first place.
|

replied July 27th, 2012
I have had many of the symptoms described here . . . lump in throat, difficulty swallowing, chronic cough, pain in chest, and icey feeling in throat, like breathing in cold cold air on a winter day, and raw throat. It would wake me up at night and I would drink baking soda water and burp like crazy then after about an hour, go back to sleep. After my endoscopy it got worse as if my esophegus was raw. I had some spitting up blood. Like you, it comes and goes but this last episode was the worst. I was diagnosed with GERD and this is what I did and I'm feeling better, first night I got a full night sleep in a while, at least for the time being. This is how I did it . . . followed all the instructions about not eating then laying down, change in diet, elevating pillow, etc. (which I did before but it didn't help). The doctor then increased to two Prilosec a day, one in the morning and one at night. DID YOU KNOW THERE ARE 4 DIFFERENT TYPES OF DRUGS TO TREAT ACID REFLUX AND THEY ALL DO DIFFERENT THINGS - I DID NOT KNOW THAT. There is a product called Gaveston that blocks the acid from coming back up by providing a fizzing barrier. I started using this, 2 in morning, 2 at night, and it is helping also. I then went to the health food store and I am "increasing my intestinal flora" by taking the acidophilus stuff, 3 times per day (it's in the refrigerator section). I also purchased some ingestible Aloe Vera capsules and broke them apart and put the contents of the pill with a tsp. of honey so the medicine would stay in my esophegus. 2x a day or when the icey pain comes. I also purchased a product that says it will reduce acid reflux in 1 minute, it's a liquid made of vinegar, garlic, and ginger juice and I sip a very small amount and it seems to help. The last thing I'm doing is eating raw almonds and making home-made cardemom tea (only herbal teas with GERD!). So I have hit this from every angle I can think of. The only other thing I can think I need is more exercise and/or more fiber cuz if things are backed up there, they're probably contributing to the problem also. I know the things at the health food store are expensive but probably not more than what the doctors cost. And just a comment about doctors, they are usually right about GERD and also stress symptoms (the symptoms feed on one another and the lump gets worse with stress) but they don't tell you there are 4 types of medicines and how to coordinate them and don't really have a "wholistic" approach to the person or understand how this condition can be debilitating. PS the diet they recommend is mostly carbs and that is something I have tried to reduce so I'm trying to eat vegetables and fruits (not citris fruits). Also, the Gavescon comes in a spearmint liquid - do not get it, it burns and spearmint causes GERD symptoms (can't imagine why they made a formula like that!). I use the tablets. Good luck to everyone and I hope this helps even one person!
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2012
Experienced User
When we eat, or even anticipate food, our bodies start to prepare by producing saliva in the mouth and/or acid in the stomach. If we know (from experience) the food will be acidic, we may produce less acid to compensate.

If we produce too much acid, there are things we can do to neutralise or reduce it.

1. Calcium carbonate. (eg. Tums). These antacids neutralise the acid. They work instantly but are not long lasting.

2. Alginates. (eg. Gaviscon). These float like a blanket of foam on top of the acid whilst calming and neutralising it. They work instantly and can be more effective than calcium carbonate.

3. H2 blockers. (eg. Zantac / rantidine). These work by stopping histamine from binding with H2 receptor cells in the stomach preventing them from producing acid. They are not an instant remedy and need to be taken pre-emptively.

4. Proton Pump Inhibitors. (eg. Nexium / esomeprazole). These work by stopping the production of the cells that produce acid in the lining of the stomach. They need to be taken pre-emptively and their efficacy build up over a number of days. They are the drug of choice for physicians and the recommendation for those who constantly produce too much acid is to take them everyday.

Alternative remedies:
Aloe Vera is like putting cold water on a burn. It doesn't prevent the burn but may alleviate the pain.
Cider vinegar (and similar remedies) is taken (usually as a teaspoonful in a glass of water) before a meal in an attempt to fool the stomach that it is to receive an acidic meal and to produce less acid.

Charlatans will attempt to sell you "cures". What you pay for is usually the advice to eat apples (usually a fairly sharp one that is more acidic). This sin't a cure at all. Like the Cider Vinegar above, our bodies know apples are acidic and prepare accordingly.

Acid burning the lining (epithelium) of the esophagus, we can experience as heartburn. If we reflux powerful stomach acid frequently, it attacks the epithelium producing erosive esophagitis.
In a reaction to this, changes may occur to the normal (squamous) cells lining the esophagus. The pink flat cells may change (metaplasia) to red columnar cells that are less sensitive to pain and less prone to acid erosion. These are similar to the cells that line the intestines. This is called Barrett's Esophagus. Many people develop Barrett's without knowing it and find their sensations of heartburn abate. They may think the problem has gone away.

Barrett's cells, however, can continue to change. the cells can become disorganised (dysplasia).
A possible further progression of the disorganisation of the cells is neoplasia and adenocarcinoma - cancer of the esophagus.

Many people experiencing heartburn and swallowing difficulties in middle age present themselves to the doctor too late. The reflux they may have experienced twenty years previously started the progress to the cancer which kills more than 15,000 Americans a year (8,000 in UK) with incidences increasing rapidly.

Anyone experiencing acid reflux frequently should see a doctor to ensure this progression doesn't take place.

Sorry for the long answer. If this site were to allow me, I could have provided links to more informative sites.
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2012
Experienced User
Assuming your post's genuine, refluxmaster, and not an attempt to market your particular product, may I sound a cautionary note?

Many people who used to experience acid reflux find their condition "improves" by itself down the line. What they haven't realised is the reflux hasn't gone away but their esophagus has undergone metaplastic changes, developing Barrett's esophagus, whose cells are less sensitive to pain.
The acid can still be eroding but its pain isn't felt.

Those people are usually lucky to "get away" with it - as the majority of people with Barrett's do not develop cancer.

However, if you do find any return of acid reflux symptoms - and that's not just heartburn but can include swallowing difficulties, cough, hoarseness and a host of other symptoms - see a doctor immediately as the condition you may have but not know about could be getting worse.
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2012
Experienced User
Didn't mean to offend. I've just seen too many people more motivated by personal greed and am naturally wary. Thanks for your help.
|

replied April 3rd, 2018
Experienced User
So let us look at some of the parameters we can prevent acidity. Don't consume spicy food or fried foods too often. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Eat small, regular meals. Consume your last meal at least a few hours before sleeping. Chew tulsi leaves, cloves, saunf, etc.
|

replied April 16th, 2018
Experienced User
Eat fruits — bananas have natural antacid properties that counteract acid reflux. Eat a fully ripened banana each day to reduce the discomfort of acid coming back up. Another great fruit to try is an apple. To prevent discomfort at night, slice up an apple and enjoy it a few hours before bedtime. Other fruits that can reduce instances of GERD are honeydew, cantaloupe and watermelon.
|
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...