Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Natural / holistic treatments for bipolar?

Has anyone had success going to a chiropractor / naturopathic doctor / holistic doctor / kinesiologist for treatment?

Any opinions on which books cover this topic best?

I'm looking through Amazon.com and reading book reviews this evening and just wondered about success or opinions here.

I'd prefer to avoid pharmaceuticals, if at all possible. I'm seeing a doctor who is best described as being a chiropractor / naturopathic doctor and he says he's had success treating bipolar patients before. I've seen this doctor for other issues and we're just now beginning our journey on bipolar.

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile H1pp13H4n4
|

replied September 15th, 2008
Best treated holistically
I've not seen BP ever treated successively just by the traditional holistic approach. A low dosage of an anti depressant together with B Total sublingual (Nutraceutical Solutions Inc.) will work if the person is self aware and wants to find a healing in themselves. Some combination of counseling -B Complex and low dose of medication can work wonders if the person makes a commitment to stick with the program.

As in treating cancer, cholesterol, etc a blend of a pharmaceutical, vitamins and herbs, medical supervision and working with a holistic practitioner, massage therapist etc works the best.

Try to find someone who has real experience with BP. Many doctors and therapists say they do but DON'T.
|

replied September 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I have 2 boys diagnosed with bipolar disorder. We have treated the disorder with pharmaceuticals. We tried vitamins and supplements. We are now using a combination of both. This approach seems to be the one that yields the best results with the fewest side effects. You can private message me and I can offer you more details about the supplements we are using.
|

replied December 31st, 2011
alternative bipolar treatment wanted
I would like to private message you, Im not sure how, I have 2 teenage boys who are bipolar and I was diagnoised with mild bipolar after a MVA in 2005, both of my boys are on pharmaceuticals but one of them is not doing well, and im looking into implementing vitimins and minerals with the lithium, but i need a dr. and some real advice if you could email me I would appreciate it
|

replied March 21st, 2015
Lithium can work but is toxic at higher therapeutic doses. There is a natural lithium from a vegetable concentrate called Lithomin or Nutridyn. Improvement can occur in about 10 days. Usual dose 50mcg daily. I would also advise 2000-3000 mg vitamin C daily and a multivitamin tablet that contains at least 25 mg Vitamin B6. The vitamins alone may help the boy who is not responding to the lithium, and may help reduce the dose of lithium for the other boy.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2008
Advanced Support Team
hello,

i would strongly encourage your persuit of a natural solution to the un-desirable symptoms which you experience. at some point in my life i was diagnosed as having bi-polar disorder, however, after taking the time to change my negative behavioural and mental patterns, i must say that i have become very grateful for all experiences that life can bring us, including the most difficult ones.

often we look outside of ourselves for the explanation or treatment to our malady, when all the meanwhile, there is a yearning deep inside of ourselves that cannot simply be numbed or medicated away. i believe that we must face ourselves, and the very things that trouble us if we are ever to find relief.

may you find the peace you seek on your journey

love
-daniel
|

replied January 9th, 2013
facing myself & what troubles me -
Ok, this may sound silly but how would one go about "face ourselves, and the very things that trouble us"

I feel like I have been doing that which turns into a cycle of tear down - build back up - maintain - tear down build back up ... etc...

write everything down?
is there a procedure.. seems this could turn into a $itch session or ranting if not careful..
I am sure I am over thinking this - simple piece of advice.
|

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2015
I feel like what he means is being honest with ourselves with some of our crazy episodes. Now, not every one of them can we even begin to think about what is happening to us which is SO frustrating (rapid cycling)

I know some (very few) of my recurrent manic episodes stemmed from the same stuff, [aggression] and it helped shed some light.

What happened was that, I would constantly get upset with people driving too slow in the roads or just bad drivers in general, and one day I thought to myself (after a therapy session)

"Wait, you cant be upset with them. What if they were your grandfather trying to drive or some kid just learning how to drive, or maybe this person is just having a shitty day..Maybe their dog got killed or maybe its another fellow bp in the car contemplating suicide! You never know! "

Having those perspectives definitely took the edge off of my aggressive cycles (when I wasn't rapid cycling), but of course, it didn't cure my bpd haha

Just saved me from ramming into the persons car, cutting them off, getting into an accident, or killing someone (which I had planned on doing on MORE than one occasion to "teach them a lesson") But I think what he's referring to is mindfulness and reflection.

It has definitely helped me out, and I have less of road rage now and more empathy. I do have a background in meditation, and yoga, so maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway, I hope I have helped you in some way, or led you to your answer.

It will take some time, effort, and SO much energy sometimes, but its so worth it.

~Love and Light, Hana
|

replied August 4th, 2009
holistic treatment for bipolar disorder
Yes, I was diagnosed with bipolar in my twenties. I have been medication free since 1990 (now 55 years old).
|

replied December 31st, 2011
please email me with your advice, im desperately seeking advice for my teenage boys and myself
|

replied February 5th, 2011
I concur completely with danielv. I believe that we, on some level, choose to experience what seems like an illness or is labelled as such and that we are our own best healers. In my case, I notice that the course of taking charge of my mental/emotional issues through the use of EFT (to heal shift old beliefs) together with Byron Katie's 'The Work' has helped. In addition, I have also found that I have had to heal various food allergies and intolerances which were impacting through the use of a kinesiologist and NAET clearings. And finally, getting tested for PYROLURIA and OVER/UNDER-METHYLATION was also extremely important as was the NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTATION TO HELP WITH THE PHYSICAL COMPONENT OF BALANCING BRAIN CHEMISTRY.
|

replied February 5th, 2011
BI-POLAR
I concur completely with danielv. I believe that we, on some level, choose to experience what seems like an illness or is labelled as such and that we are our own best healers. In my case, I notice that the course of taking charge of my mental/emotional issues through the use of EFT (to heal shift old beliefs) together with Byron Katie's 'The Work' has helped. In addition, I have also found that I have had to heal various food allergies and intolerances which were impacting through the use of a kinesiologist and NAET clearings. And finally, getting tested for PYROLURIA and OVER/UNDER-METHYLATION was also extremely important as was the NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTATION TO HELP WITH THE PHYSICAL COMPONENT OF BALANCING BRAIN CHEMISTRY.
|

replied February 12th, 2011
In my case, I notice that the course of taking charge of my mental/emotional issues through the use of EFT (to heal shift old beliefs) together with Byron Katie's 'The Work' has helped. In addition, I have also found that I have had to heal various food allergies and intolerances which were impacting through the use of a kinesiologist and NAET clearings.

Read more: Bipolar Disorder Forum - Natural / holistic treatments for bipolar? http://ehealthforum.com/health/natural-hol istic-treatments-for-bipolar-t153871.html# ixzz1DktjImYb
|

replied April 14th, 2012
I also agree Pyroluria should be one of the first things that should be tested for. It's not a very well publicised condition as it is treated by supplements rather than pharmaceutical drugs.

My Pyroluria has been a real life saver for me.
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...