Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

natural cures or anything to alleviate like an asthma pump?

Hi just joined, I'm basically having a prolonged series of asthma attacks, it's been happening over the last few days, I had bronchitis not long ago, I took some Ayurvedic medicine which cleared it up nicely though,

But yeah my asthma was never that bad before I could run for miles as a kid, only thing that flared it was dust, my inhalers expired in 2003 prior and I was okay until I had bronchitis which aggravated asthma and I had to call in the towel, I had a few mild ones but nothing major,

I was doing plastering and sanding and that's defo the reason for it flaring up, I don't have the brown one as I never take it as I hate taking modern medicine! I didn't even take tamiflu when I had swine flu!

But I've got a blue salbutamol now, previously I had bricanyl which wad excellent! But this one relieves symptoms then a few hours later it's back again I've never had asthma for this, I've basically taken the reliever about 40 puffs in total over the last few days!

But what I really would like to know is if there are any natural cures or anything that will alleviate same as an asthma pump but with no sides, if Anyone using alternative med?

Not sure if anyone on here tried but, I smoked some hemp out on holiday proper fresh no tobacco, for some reason I just felt as if I could breath better and I didn't have any wheezing or attacks for a good year after!

Anyone got any info on that one as wel

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Asthma is due to a hypersensitiveness of the airway tract to variety of stimuli. People with asthma experience symptoms when the airways tighten, inflame, or fill with mucus.

Asthma can be controlled by taking the regular medications including inhalers.

Typically bronchodilators (eg. salmeterol) are prescribed for regular use and for acute episodes. When exacerbation occurs and frequency of attacks increase a steroids are added to stabilize the airways and prevent further worsening or future attacks. Additional medications like anti-allergy pills and mast cell inhibitors (Singulair) are prescribed to prevent the hypersensitiveness of the airway.

Over time, as the airway matures, patients usually grow out and episodes become less frequent.

Presently, there is no cure for asthma. In fact, it is highly advisable to avoid any asthma treatment or product natural or otherwise that claims to be a "cure" for asthma.

Some natural relaxation remedies like deep abdominal breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, guided imagery, and biofeedback can help relieve stress.

In addition, a good balanced diet loaded with antioxidents like Omega fatty acids, Vitamin B-6, protein, calcium, magnesium, etc will help to boost the immune system and stabilize your symptoms.

Even though there is no natural cure for asthma, your symptoms can be treated and controlled with several asthma medications as described above. Your goal in managing asthma is to:

1. Get an accurate asthma diagnosis.
2. Work with your doctor to develop an asthma action plan.
3. Monitor your peak flow rate daily and take appropriate measures when it drops.
4. Keep an asthma diary so you can track all your symptoms and medication use.
5. Avoid asthma triggers or causes of asthma, including outdoor irritants such as smog.
6. Seek medical advice and treatment for coexisting problems that can worsen asthma symptoms, such as GERD, allergic rhinitis, and sinusitis.
7. Exercise daily to maximize your aerobic fitness.
8. Prevent exercise-induced asthma by medicating before exercise.
9. Eat nutritious foods to maximize your immune defenses against viral and bacterial infections.
10. Maintain a normal weight.
11. Get plenty of restful sleep.

and lastly, Check in with your doctor regularly for breathing tests to make sure your asthma is managed and your medications are working optimally.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.