Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

n and out of a relationship with a bipolar man...

User Profile
I have been in and out of a relationship with a bipolar man for the last 18 months.He refuses to treat his disorder and it has destroyed the relationship.Many times, I feel like I'm the one going crazy. His episodes are scary and usually leave me sobbing and feeling helpless. I have begged him to take medication but he refuses.The only med he will take is some sort of effexor which is a very small dosage.He has stated many times that he loves the mania.We are both in recovery and although he is sober from drugs and alcohol, his mania seems like a drug.When we first started dating, he seemed like the most considerate and loveable man I had met in a long time.However, within 3 weeks, I experienced the first of many episodes.It scared me and I had many people telling me to get out while I could.I didn't and now I am left with sadness and have been seeing a psychologists to help me.He again has demanded no contact from me and that is what I am giving him. I'm at a loss. Can you help?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper littlewing76
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2011
Bipolar Disorder Answer A24145
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

I am sorry to say but no one except a combined team of a psychiatrist and a psychologist can help him. Along with medications to control his mania, he would need some counseling. Possibly you could alert someone from his family or close friend circle who can force him to seek medical help. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.