Hi! I am not sure which field of doctor that I need to see, as I am struggling with a 'mystery illness' . In a nutshell, I have had extreme exhaustion for several years, punctuated by short (hours long) spurts of energy in which I rush to get everything done, because once those hours end I have days or weeks of sleeping round the clock, feeling as if I'm walking thru quicksand, aching in my bones, with a foggy and worthless brain. In my good hours, I am quick, energetic and intelligent. I have been to several GPs and had many blood work ups done, all indicating nothing. My last bloodwork was this Feb - zip. I eat well, sleep A TON, and have eliminated as much stress from my life as I can. I AM overweight - but this has been due to eating sugar constantly to be energetic enough to make it thru my workdays for the last ten years. Last September, I quit my job and since then have stopped my sugar habit completely (since I can sleep all the time) and have already lost thirty pounds. This does not help my symptoms, however. I simply don't have to 'force thru' my days anymore. I have had depression in the past, and been put on Lexapro, which worked well while I needed it. It did not help my physical symptoms at all though. I have stopped taking it since I recovered from my depressive episode. I do not believe that I am currently depressed at all, although I do have a fairly stressful home situation - caring for a spouse with crippling major depression. I do have many problems with allergies - both external (animals, pollens, dirt, dust, etc) and food allergies (oral allergy syndrome) and intolerances. I have been helped by not eating gluten for the last three years. I am asthmatic. This brings me to now: Quite by accident, I have discovered that Claritin D (with pseudoephedrine) alleviates NEARLY ALL of my symptoms. I have taken it the last two months for spring allergies, and while I'm on it, my energy levels become normal, I think clearly and more focused, I sleep better and much, much less. I know I'm not supposed to take this indefinitely, but it WORKS. What should I do here? Thank you for your help - I really have no clue still what it is I'm struggling. I feel as if I'm fighting a dragon that I can't see.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2016
Welcome to e health forum.

First of all, please keep in mind that due to the lack of complete medical history and lack of physical examination, specific diagnosis of your issues cannot be provided.

The analysis of your history and symptoms do not indicate any specific cause.

The other possibilities would be that you have a low threshold to pain or they could be due to psychological issues. Conditions like Fibromyalgia or chronic pain syndromes might also be a possibility.

It would be recommended that you consult a rheumatologist and a psychiatrist who can help with proper diagnosis
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.