Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

mystery bites at night over a year, No signs of bed bugs

I have Been getting random itchy Bug bites in my sleep. They get red and swollen, and itch like crazy for days. They seem to be single bites, not multiple bites in one place. For instance I will get one on my finger, one on my arm, and maybe one on my shoulder. Like it is moving down my body. Anyone have any ideas? I have looked very closely for any signs of insects and have found nothing. No signs of bed bugs or fecal matter or blood. It is driving us crazy. Please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2016
Welcome to e health forum.

Most likely you have a insect infestation. The exact cause cannot be determined due to the lack of complete history.

But most commonly Humans can be infested with insects including body lice and the Human Botfly.

Body lice (Pediculus humanus corporis) are infestations of small blood-sucking insects that live on the body of infested humans and in their clothing or bedding, particularly the seams. Body lice can spread from person to person and are normally associated with crowded and unhygienic living conditions.

In overcrowded, unhygienic conditions where there is no opportunity to wash and launder clothing on a regular basis body lice can be responsible for the spread of epidemic infections such as epidemic typhus.

Maintaining proper body and personal hygiene with regular bathing , proper laundering of clothes, disposing off infested clothing, avoiding contact with infested individuals, proper insecticide treatment of your homes would help you control the situation.

In case, you keep getting such bites, inspite of the above measures you can seek help from a ‎professional insect and pest management company, for proper help. This ‎might help to solve your ‎problem.

Other possible causes which can be mistaken as insect bites include - allergic reactions to food or dust, Viral or bacterial infections, scabies and others, which can be ruled out by proper physical examination by your doctor.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.