Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Mysterious small bumps that looked clear on top

I was traveling out west in the United States (from Seattle, WA to Flagstaff, AZ. It was Thursday evening, July 3rd that I first noticed the itch on the underside of my bicep. There was what appeared to be an insect bite. We had just driven through Death Valley and arrived at some hot springs. A sign near the springs cautioned "Enter at your own risk, mud mites in water may cause a reaction." My boyfriend and I walked around the spring and decided against getting in because of all the spiders. (The reason I mention the hot springs is because it was as I was leaving them that the itch started and the mite sign was my only possible clue) The next day my boyfriend pointed out (while I was itching) that I had a red rash the size of a business card under my arm and a mirror image of it on my side beneath my armpit. It was slightly raised and extremely itchy. Anyway, a couple days later it continued to itch but because I was camping I never got a good look at it. Finally, the following Sunday I was able to see it in a mirror. It was full of small bumps that looked clear on top amongst the red rash. Monday I looked again and realized it was spreading/growing and the itch was unbearable. I went to a urgent care clinic. The doctor seemed clueless and decided to run with my mites story (even though I never got in the water) She prescribed me a mites cream and an antibiotic cream. The mites cream is supposed to be applied from head to toe for 8-14 hours and then washed off. A second treatment can be done but I read it's usually not necessary. I did the treatment Monday evening and removed it Tuesday morning. The antibiotic cream was to be applied 5-7 times a day (the pharmacist said it did look infected and would help.) Tuesday I noticed a bite on my elbow was beginning to get the same clear bumps/redness around it. I came home on Tuesday evening and each day after it still seemed to be spreading. The last couple days I've been waking up with strange res and white lumps on my ankles, calves and thighs. These new bumps don't appear to be bites. There are no punctures in them.. some itch.. some don't. This past Thursday I started taking amoxicillin thinking it was an infection. As of today the rash on my side has spread almost to my nipple and back towards my shoulder bone. Now about the size of a postcard. What the hell is happening!?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2014
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

The white lumps can be due to allergic reaction, cysts or infected hair follicles. Folliculitis is the inflammation of one or more hair follicles and presents as red pimples with a hair in the center of each one. The pimples may have pus in them, and they may itch or burn. The burning sensation may persist till there is complete healing of the skin and the time taken varies with each individual.

However to completely rule out any mite bites and other skin conditions, you should get them examined from a dermatologist and maybe get a biopsy skin done.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.