Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Myeloma, bone fracture. Dad removes sling...

Myeloma
My dad is 83 and was admitted to hospital 4 weeks ago with pneumonia. He had complained of arm pain for several months. After scans and xrays he has been diagnosed with myeloma. He has started on chemo, infusions and has had radiotherapy. Inspite of this the hole in the arm, just above the elbow, has now fractured.
The haemotologists don't feel dad's bones are suitable for an operation so he has been put in a new style brace. Unfortunately he finds the sling uncomfortable so removes as soon as he can. Also when pain killers where off very painful.
Would it not be better to imobilise in plaster and will this give the bone a chance to heal without surgery ?
Dad is due to come home tomorrow as he gets very distressed in hospital, especially at night.
Any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 8th, 2014
Myeloma is a cancer that affects cells in the bone marrow called plasma cells. As the cancerous plasma cells fill the bone marrow, you are not able to make enough normal blood cells. This can lead to anaemia, bleeding problems and infections. Other symptoms include bone pain, fractures due to bone damage, and kidney damage. In many cases, treatment with chemotherapy and other treatments can control the disease, ease symptoms and prolong survival for a number of years. /
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2016
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. With multiple myeloma and age of 82 and recurrent pneumonia, and recent fracture, your doctor went for the right option, minimal invasive and conservative options are the best in your dads case. pain control should be the top priority . Survival odds are bad in advanced ages of myeloma.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bone Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.