Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

My 11 year old has had abdominal pain for several days.

On Monday, I noticed my 11 year old daughter wasn't quite her normal perky self when I picked her up from after school care. Normally, she is a very energetic, sassy little spitfire. After we got home, she told me she didn't feel good, that her stomach was hurting. I had her show me where and she points from her bully button down to the top part of her right hip. Immediately, I try to examine her and press down gently. She started crying saying it hurt really bad. I immediately loaded her in the car and went to the ER. After waiting for several hours, we were finally taken back. They did a urine test and a blood test. They said both were fine, gave her a narcotic pain killer and told me to take her to our family doctor in the morning if she was still in pain. I want to note that she was not running a fever, no vomiting or diarrhea.
On Tuesday morning, she was still in agony so I had her at her doctor first thing in the morning. Her doctor was concerned that it was her appendix and ordered a CT scan. CT results were very frustrating. Her kidneys and bladder are inflamed and it looks like she should have a UTI but her urine test is clear and she has no symptoms of the UTI. Her appendix was enlarged and had some type of stone (?) on it but it did not look acutely inflamed. Her lymph nodes on the right side of her abdomen are all extremely inflamed.
After getting the results, our family doctor orders another urine test to be safe (still clear) and another blood test to check her white cell count level. She gave my daughter a shot of antibiotics and a prescription for both Percoset and oral antibiotics. We made an appointment to be back at her office at 10 am Wednesday to see if my daughter had improved.
Wednesday morning, my daughter is still in pain. She can't eat more than a couple of bites before she says it hurts. Still no fever. After examining her, she says she would feel better if she had a surgeon at least look at her just in case so off we go. Surgeon says he doesn't feel comfortable doing anything unless he gets a second CT scan to see if her appendix has gotten worse. Speed bump, my daughter has Medicaid and they refused to authorize a second CT.
We go home and both of us are in tears. I try to get her comfortable and just take care of her the best I can. Yesterday, (Thursday), we went back to the doctor yet again for a check. Did another urine test (still negative). Doctor explained that her WBC was 13,000 at the ER on Monday night but it had dropped to 10,500 by Tuesday when we did the second blood test. She wanted me to bring her in first thing this morning (Friday) to run another test to see if it had gone up any. Basically, unless she runs a fever or her WBC goes back up, Medicaid will not approve for any further treatment. My daughter is in agony. She hurts even with the Percosets, even though they do make her extremely loopy. I don't like giving my baby that crap but I don't know what else to do. Has anyone ever had anything remotely like this happen to their child?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2014
Welcome to e health forum.

It is a very sad situation, considering that investigations have to depend on the insurance companies and doctors cannot provide specific care unless there is proper evidence of any illness, either via laboratory or radiological.

Based on the symptoms, and the first CT scan, presence of a stone within the appendix, can block the lumen, and cause symptoms of appendix inflammation.

In such a situation, absence of severe inflammatory changes (evidence of appendix damage) may be absent, and this can cause Surgeons to wait and watch, rather than do a early surgery.

To go ahead, you can request your doctor to provide her prescriptions of anti-colic medications (Spasfon or dicylomine) which help to control the spasmodic contractions of the bowel, which seem to be the cause of the pain. If the pain cannot be managed, then she may require hospital care.

I hope your daughter gets better soon.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.