Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

My 3-year old grandson will not eat solids

My grandson would be 4 in two months. However, he does not eat solids. My daughter (his mother) has been trying ever since he was 8 months old; he has tried to chew a few times and perhaps swallowed a few morsels. But that also very rarely. There was an episode of choking on a biscuit when he was one and a half year old. But I presume that the psychological effect of that episode, if any, would not last for so long.

He has been in pre-school for almost 2 years. His teacher also tried to make him eat soilds; but he cries and vomits if forced. The company of other children of same age in school has also not helped.

To meet his nutrition needs his mother is giving him pureed food. Even otherwise he is a finicky eater and is only interested in playing. He is very active and has normal growth. Health is generally alright, except for frequent bouts of cold and cough.

We consulted a speech therapist one year back, as advised by his pediatrician. but the therapist did not find anything abnormal.

I would be glad for any suggestions on how to proceed further in the matter.

Thanks.

alok18
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2014
thank you for asking
if the baby resists solid foods and vomits i am sure it needs a little work up as there might be some trouble at esophageal sphincters and it might be causing dysphagia. instead of forcing the kid to eat a paediatric gastroenterologist should be consulted for workup and see if there is any organic pathology underneath. once ruled out then we will look into dietary profile and a dietitian and a lot of efforts by parents as kids need care. first work up then dietitian.
take care and visit our health center for further guidance.
take care
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Toddlers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.