Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

My 11 year old cannot sleep on asthma meds

User Profile
My 11 year old has just been diagnosed with asthma and has been on oral steroids 3 times in 8 monthes, so she needs to be on an asthma meds. We have tried Asthmanex, Pulmicort, Singulair, Advair and we are now on Symbicort. They all keep her up most the nite and make her nervous and jumpy. I have noticed reducing the dose in half helps and so far breathing is ok. She sleeps about 4 hours a nite. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone experienced this before, we are desperate for some help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on e health forum.

From the history provided it seems that your daughters asthma is not controlled properly.

With childhood asthma, the lungs and airways become easily inflamed when exposed to certain triggers, such as airborne pollen. In other cases, childhood asthma flares up with a cold or other respiratory infection. Childhood asthma can cause bothersome daily symptoms that interfere with play, sports, school and sleep.

Well-controlled asthma means that your child has:

1. Minimal or no symptoms
2. Few or no asthma flare-ups
3. No limitations on physical activities or exercise
4. Minimal use of quick-relief (rescue) inhalers, such as albuterol
5. Few or no side effects from medications

Your child's symptoms and triggers are likely to change over time. You'll need to carefully observe symptoms and work with the doctor to adjust medications as needed.

If your child's symptoms are completely controlled for a period of time, your child's doctor may recommend lowering doses or taking your child off a medication (stepping down treatment).

If your child's asthma isn't as well controlled, the doctor may want to increase, change or add medications (stepping up treatment).

I hope this helps.

|

replied May 1st, 2011
another effect also that you cannot sleep well like me before im always out of breath try to use sleepbetterlosefat but to be sure ask our dear doctor in this website Deepak Anvekar thank you for always helping us for free take care God bless More Blessings to com to you
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.