User Profile
Two years ago I had a heart catheterization performed and my doctor elected to do it through my right wrist. Over time I have had off-and-on soreness and weakness with my wrist but nothing to cause any alarm.

Approximately a month ago I began having more problems with that wrist consisting of more prolonged weakness and longer periods of moderate to severe pain. However, each time it may last at most a day and then go away.

Now, for the past 3 days my wrist has been in severe pain causing me to barely use it and over the past 36 hours or so, I have developed a knot that has come from not being visible to at least the size of a quarter. This knot has came out of nowhere and is causing severe pain and limited use of my entire right hand and arm. Also, I am now experiencing some numbness and tingling up my right arm to my elbow and slightly beyond.

What might this be? The knot is located almost directly below the remaining scar where the heart catheterization occured over 2 years ago. Why has it grown to it's current size in less than two days? Scar tissue? Cyst? I realize the numbness and tingling is most likely from the knot pressing against nerves. The pain is unbearable and now that it is worsening I figured I may need medical advice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am contemplating seeing a doctor or not.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2010
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A17509

Welcome to the forum and I am glad to help you out. The possibility is of a ganglion cyst. These cysts can be painful especially when they first appear and with constant or strenuous use of the hand or wrist and are usually found at the base of the finger on palms. Putting a needle into the ganglion cyst and aspirating the fluid may work. However, the gelatinous fluid within the cyst does not always come through a needle very well. Furthermore, this treatment leaves the cyst lining behind, and the ganglion cyst will return about 50% of the time.

The definitive treatment is to remove the ganglion cyst with a surgical procedure. In surgery, the wrist ganglion is "shelled out," meaning the fluid and the sac are removed. In addition, the connection to the joint or tendon sheath that supplied the fluid can be occluded. Please do consult an orthopedic surgeon for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.