Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

my wife uterus and ovaries are small in size.

User Profile
Hello, I married before 8 years. For my wife uterus and ovaries are small in size. So she don't have periods from her teenage itself. Is there any chance to increase the size of uterus, to proceed for IVF, with donated egg? If we check for sarrogate, can please give me an idea of charges, how much we have to bear minimumm.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2015
Infertility Answer A53031
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If she does not have periods she should consider taking second opinion from another gynecologist and proceed with further evaluation to determine if uterus, cervix and vagina are present. Absent uterus syndrome is also known as MRKH. MRKH stands for Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser Syndrome, and was named after four men who studied this birth defect. This is a congenital condition of the female reproductive system that affects approximately 1 out of every 5000 females (affecting the Mullerian ducts and structures developing from it). In this defect a woman is born without a uterus, cervix, and, in many cases, a vagina, and therefore cannot reproduce or bear children. There can also be kidney related anomalies. Most girls who get diagnosed with MRKH have vaginal agenesis, which refers to an absent or incomplete vagina. The uterus is also very small or absent. These women usually have normal ovaries and can experience puberty without having periods. MRKH is a syndrome that may or may not be associated with renal (kidney), skeletal, and hearing problems.
Since it is a syndrome, there are many degrees to this condition, so each woman with MRKH is different. If this is suspected, she would need to find out upto what extent she is affected with it.
The treatment options include vaginoplasty (for absent vagina), and uterine transplants (to attempt for having children). Uterine transplants are however associated with very high morbidity (resulting in patient death most of the times). She can discuss about these with her gynecologist in detail.
Best way to have children in future would be to go ahead with surrogacy (where she can have her eggs (if ovarian function is normal) and her partner’s sperms united to have baby and have it grow in a ‘womb on rent’ such that they can be the biological parents for the child) and adoption (where they are not the biological parents of the child).
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.