Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

my stools have been a lot looser than before ...

User Profile
I am a 52 yr old male and about 2 months ago I got a case of diearrha and my hemroids flared up again. Since then my stools have been a lot looser than before and where I used to go once a day it seems like I am going 3 or 4 times now, should I be worried?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2012
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A39920
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

What you seem to be having is 'chronic diarrhea' which is defined as loose stools (3 or more stools per day) that last for at least four weeks.

You need to get blood, stool, urine tests and stool culture which may find the infection causing diarrhea. If these tests come out normal then other tests including X-rays or procedures such as colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy may be needed.
You may try the following:
1. Take over the counter lactobacillus preparation and yoghurt with your meals.

2. Drink plenty of fluids, eat light, do not stay hungry but eat simple things like toast, porridge, cereals, crackers, banana, rice, etc.

3. Avoid dairy products, which can worsen diarrhea (due to a temporary state of lactose intolerance).

4. Drink more fluid (except milk or caffeinated beverages) to replace fluids lost by diarrhea.

Kindly consider visiting a Physician for evaluation.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.