User Profile
I am a very healthy person, I eat right and exercise daily. But for some reason after eating or drinking ANYTHING, my lower stomach/top of my crotch area swells up and gets bloated and I look pregnant and it's uncomfortable. I've been dealing with this for about two years. I was on birth control and stopped it a few days ago, but I did notice it seemed to be worse a couple times a month. Could hormones be causing this swelling bloating uncomfortable pressure? It gets worse the more I eat and this time it has not gotten any better for like 3 weeks. I wake up with it even. It gets better certain times of the month and when I haven't eaten much and have went to the bathroom. I have been to the doctor a lot for it and they ruled out everything like celiac and lactose intolerance and everything..I'm tired of living with this and not even knowing what it is. I'm just so bloated. Could it be hormones and would going off birth control be good?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2013
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A42395
Welcome to e health forum.

It appears that you may be having generalized bloating, which can either be due to dietary issues or due to medical conditions causing indigestion.

Stomach or intestinal gas is nothing but a mixture of oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, hydrogen and methane. Stomach gas can be termed as the byproduct generated during the process of digestion. It is generally expelled from the body, either through the mouth or through the rectum. When intestinal gas is expelled through the mouth, it is known as belching or burping, while passing gas through the rectum is called flatulence or flatus. The gas passed through the rectum may or may not smell. If it does, it is most commonly caused by the fermentation of the food or waste materials in the colon. Such fermentation causes the generation of sulphur gases, which produces that foul odor.

To reduce excess stomach gas and the associated discomforts, you can take activated charcoal. However, the best way to prevent this condition would be making some changes or modifications in your diet and lifestyle. First of all, try to eat slowly by chewing the foods properly. This would reduce the amount of air that you ingest while eating, and also facilitate the digestion of carbohydrates. Along with this, pay attention to the kind of food you have been eating lately. This would help you to find out specific foods that cause bad stomach gas. If a particular food is responsible for causing bloating and gas, then cut down its consumption.

Usually, dietary and lifestyle changes along with the above mentioned home remedies would help you to get rid of gas problems. But, if the problem persists for a long time, talk to your physician regarding the use of over the counter medications like activated charcoal. Apart from activated charcoal, probiotics and digestive enzyme supplements can be used for intestinal or stomach gas relief. If all these treatment options fail, then get the condition properly evaluated with the help of your doctor and seek proper treatment.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.