Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

my second blood test due to high WBC.

User Profile
Need help understand blood smear results. WBC 12.7, HGB 15.6,
MCV 98FL and pathologists comments as follows; Absolute Lymphocytosis and neutrophilia with mild left shift in maturation. Favor reactive process for both. Recommend clinical correlation. Platelets are unremarkable. RBCs demonstrate slight anisocytosis and rare ovalocytes.
I do not know what any of this means. Should I be concerned? My doctor wants me to come back for redraw in a couple weeks. This was already my second blood test due to high WBC. Is there a possibility of having leukemia?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2013
Leukemia Answer A45154
Welcome to e health forum.

All lab results, need to be co-related with clinical signs, symptoms and physical examination findings. Hence any information provided here, would be just for information, and should not be used for self diagnosis of any medical conditions.

The blood smear - pathology report indicates a essentially benign and nonspecific result. . Such nonspecific findings can be seen with common infections like common cold, viral infections, etc.

They do not indicate any conditions like malignancies (like Leukaemia) or chronic serious medical disorders.

In the absence of any symptoms or any concerns, there is no need to panic over these findings. But if otherwise, you might consult with your doctor, who can advice you accordingly.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.