Medical Questions > Relationships > Relationships and Marriage Forum

My parents think im to young to get married...

My fiance and I have been together now for almost 3 yrs. Im almost 19 and hes 21. We have been disscussing the issue of getting married for quite awhile and he proposed last weekend! The thing is we want to get married over Christmas break. We are both in college right now, but we are at different ones. I plan on trasferring to a community college near him to earn some type of degree.
Our original plan was to wait till we were both done with school.. but we both really want to repent to his church. Im not from his church, but we are both of the Christian faith. His church is much more concervative than most Christian churches, so in order to repent and still be together we have to be married...
He broke this news to his parents last week and they were thrilled. His parents were married and repented right after they graduated college, so our age was no big deal to them...but when i broke the news to my parents they flipped! They completly dissaproved. They said that I am to young to be making these kinds of dicisions and we wont be able to survive finacialy. Their biggest complaint was about me repenting to his church. They do not agree with the things that one must do to join the church and think it would be embarrassing to have their daughter be a member of it.
I know that this is the right decision for me.. we are doing it for the right reasons.. We are not worried about the financial part. His parents and grandpa will be more than willing to help us out, and we already know somewhat where we could live. I love his church and it was my dicision to want to join now. it just really scares me not to have my parents blessings. I really want to know if im making the right decision doing this. I believe they will come around eventually tho..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 12th, 2008
Supporter
If you feel in your heart that its right to do it then do it! It sounds to me like you really love this guy and are sure of your relationship. You need to let your parents know that you are an adult and want to spend the rest of your life with the man you love! they cant stop you. You just need to sit them down and tell them that this is your life and if they support you then great, and if not then too bad. I know they are your parents and mean the world to you, but you need to do what you think is right for yourself! good luck.
|

replied December 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer
If you were my daughter I would say you are too young...You were 16 when you started to go together and truly have not yet begun living...What is the hurry? Graduate from college...Put some years behind you...Mature....If he is the right man he will be waiting for you when you are through....

If you met at 18 I would feel different, but you were but a child....A child grows and just may regret later a hasty decision that is made now....Just my thoughts...

Caroline
|

User Profile
replied December 18th, 2008
Supporter
If you want my honest opinion I think you're too young too but then again you have already been together for three yrs. Don't rush though hun, If you knew how many times I was in love (or at least thought i was from 16-22 lol. It was about three or four times. I'm 29 now, been with my guy for 8 yrs and still haven't married him. It really doesn't make any difference.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2009
I was married at 15, and am still married 10 years later BUT... that was way too young. I think that 19 is ok but make sure that you get pre-marital counseling. Marriage is tough at any age.
|
Quick Reply