Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

My newborn baby startles

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
HI,

I have a question related to my newborn baby boy:

His age is now: 3 months and 23 days; He sometimes startles (most of time while sleeping or before sleeping) but today he did 3 consecutive times while he was awake. is that a symptom for seizure or normal baby brain development.

can the moro reflex happen by itself?

thanks in advanced.

Yours Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2015
Hi. I have read your question and can understand your concern.

This condition of your baby is called Moro on Startle Reflex.Triggers include Loud noise (even baby’s own cry), sudden movement, or sensation of falling
Baby cries and extends legs, arms, and fingers, arches back, then retracts arms and legs.This is a normal phenomenon and can occur till 4-6 months.
So you don't have
to worry it is not a sign of seizure.
Hope my answer has addressed your concern.
|

replied July 16th, 2015
Startling reflux is actually completely normal and a sign that your baby’s nervous system is developing exactly as it should. If you have a baby with a startle reflex then the best thing you can do is swaddle your child. Swaddling will allow your infant to feel safe and secure again, just like in the womb, and the startle reflex will not occur.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Newborn Babies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.