Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

my mum had a stroke last sunday on the 5th may 2013

My mum had a stroke. She is 59 this year.
A little info about her medical background.
She has 2 defective valve and was due for a operation on the 18th may which has been cancelled. She has been on warfarin for many years. Doctors tell me that her stroke was due to her stop of warfarin. FYI, she stopped her usage for 5 days to do a angiogram.

The doctor tell me that the stroke affected the left side of her brain. My mum is right handed. Right now she cant move the right side of her body, she cant speak well ,she cant really swallow well.she having a blended diet.

My question are what can I do to help her and will she ever recover?
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2013
Most of the improvement you should expect within the first half a year and a little more during the next couple of years. It is too soon to tell to what extent her brain functions are going to recover.
By Andre Strizhak

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.