Medical Questions > Parenting > Single Parents Forum

My mother may try to keep my 7 year old son

I was released from prison 6 months ago. My mother has had my son for 3 years. I have been in recovery for nearly three years, I am off of parole and ready to leave drug treatment. she's starting to say all of these horrible things to me and I'm starting to feel as if shes going to fight me for custody. I never lost custody of my son and I have no reason to now. But I'm not financially stable yet and Im just beginning to transition back into society. Does she have a legal claim to him? I signe over Child Support to hder because I was locked up everything has been voluntarily and temporarily signed over to her by me so she could take care of him. KI dongt know what to do. Any advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 9th, 2010
Considering the amount of progress you've done, your mom should not have the legal right to take your child away. But you DO NEED a stable source of income before you go down the road of custody battles! There's also all kinds of help with food stamps, daycare... all for free so you can work or go to school. If your mom tries to fight you, you'll need a good lawyer! She's just being protective of your child. May be she thinks you may relapse. So prove her wrong that you can do it. The best way is to convince her you are doing fine and you are never going back to your old way of life! It's always nice to have your mom on your side. She just needs some convincing.
But you do need a j-o-b right away!
Good luck, hun!
|
Did you find this post helpful?