Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

My mother has been diagnosed with cervical cancer

My mother had been having fever for the last 15 days which we initially suspected as UTI. Today she was diagnosed cervical cancer stage -III. My mom is still reeling under the shock and I don't really know how to help her out since I don't have a lot of idea about it. The doctor has suggested surgery and chemo as the treatment. My mom is refusing to go for the surgery since she thinks that if the treatment is not successful she will have to suffer to death.
I would really appreciate if you guys shared your experiences with me and tell me what to expect during the surgery and post surgery care. Also, would like to know what are the chances of recovery with the surgery and chemo during this stage.
Please help as I'm really scared of losing my mom.. she's the closest friend I have..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2009
Unfortunately, the final, accurate staging of your mother's cervical cancer can only be accomplished after her surgery has been completed. The longer that she puts off surgery, the greater the risk that her cancer will continue to spread, and the greater the chance that it will become incurable.

The 5-year survival rate for stage III cervical cancer is in the 40 to 50% range, with proper treatment (remember, though, that this is a "statistical average"). When cervical cancer spreads to distant organs (stage IV), the average 5-year survival drops to below 20%.

Without treatment, your mother's cancer will continue to grow and to spread (this is a 100% probability). Therefore, I hope that she will reconsider her current decision regarding treatment.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.