Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

My Medical Abortion Experience

Hi, I read so many horrible stories about the abortion pill. I wanted to write about my experience. I had prepared for the worst after horror story after story I read online.
First, I'm 29 years old, married and have 1 nine year old child. I've been with my husband since I was 18 years old. I kept track of when I was ovulating, and that had been our birth control for over 9 years. Well, we got reckless and I discovered I was pregnant soon after I missed my period. I also felt very sick and could barely eat anything. I felt like I had the flu. I also had really bad cramps.
I made an appointment at Planned Parenthood and the lady on the phone was very helpful and nice. It would cost $450 for the medical or surgical abortion and I could decide which one I wanted to do on the day of the appointment.
I wanted to drive myself and I like feeling more in control so, I knew I would choose the pill.
On the morning of my appointment I was so nervous and nauseous. I just wanted to get it over with. I brought some snacks in my purse and a bottle of water because I wasn't sure how long I would be there (I ended up being there around 3 hours, they were busy).
When I arrived I signed in and waited. Than they called me back and I paid. They gave me a small booklet about the abortion pill and some papers explaining the whole process and directions. I went back into the waiting room and went through them.
A little while later they called me back again and I went into a room where the tested my blood's iron levels and to see if I was RH- (I am). She was extremely nice and helpful.
I had to go back to the waiting room and wait some more. Than I was called back for the ultrasound. It determined I was 7 weeks pregnant. The technician asked if I wanted to see the picture. I did. It was just a dot, she had to point it out to me. I was relieved to see it. I think I was expecting to see a tiny baby. I was sent back into the waiting room (it was almost completely full by now). They finally called my name again and I finally got to see the Doctor. She gave me the first pill and a cup of water. She explained the process to me, she was extremely nive and helpful as well. I recieved a bag which contained anti nausea pills, the rest of the (4) abortion pills that you dissolve between your cheeks, and a PlanB. I also received a prescription for Tylenol #3. I was than sent to another room to get my rhogram shot and than I was sent on my way.
I was okay when I got home, just extremely exhausted. When I awoke the next morning I felt dizzy and couldn't stand up for long. By that afternoon I had started throwing up anything I tried to swallow. I was supposed to take an anti nausea pill and 1-2 Tylenol #3 at 8pm. I did but threw up exactly 30min later when I was supposed to dissolve the 4 pills in my cheeks. I waited a little before taking them hoping the anti nausea pill had been absorbed. I put the pills in my cheeks and a piece of gum in the middle of my mouth so I couldn't taste them. Exactly 30 minutes later I threw up again and was so worried I had puked up all the pills and it had all been a huge waste.
I fell asleep around 9:30pm putting on a pad just in case. At 12AM I woke up feeling crampy and tired, took another Tylenol and went back to sleep. I woke around 3AM and went to the bathroom. My pad was bloody (but not soaked) and the toilet was filled with blood. I actually felt much better. I didn't feel pregnant anymore. I went back to sleep.
It seems like my pad only gets light spotting and the rest of the blood goes into the toilet when I pee (sorry!). I still have some light cramping a day later. I never thought I would have an abortion but I am thankful I had the right to choose. It's a difficult decision to be made but I really couldn't imagine bringing another child into this world. I know I did the right thing.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 15th, 2015
How far along did the doctors say your pregnancy was? I'm convinced I'm only 4 weeks pregnant (based on when I had sex), but my doctors said that based on my last period, ultrasound and blood tests, I could be 5 - 6 weeks pregnant.

I took the first tablet in the clinic on Tuesday. Today is Thursday and I firstly took the pain killers the doctor gave me (1 x ibuprofen, 1 x pancetamol) then 30 minutes later I inserted the four abortion pills high vaginally. So far it's only been a further 30 minutes, so I'm expecting it to hit any time now but just really nervous about the cramping/pain level.

Any insight would be much appreciated.. I'll post an update in a few hours.
|

replied January 15th, 2015
How far along did the doctors say your pregnancy was? I'm convinced I'm only 4 weeks pregnant (based on when I had sex), but my doctors said that based on my last period, ultrasound and blood tests, I could be 5 - 6 weeks pregnant.

I took the first tablet in the clinic on Tuesday. Today is Thursday and I firstly took the pain killers the doctor gave me (1 x ibuprofen, 1 x pancetamol) then 30 minutes later I inserted the four abortion pills high vaginally. So far it's only been a further 30 minutes, so I'm expecting it to hit any time now but just really nervous about the cramping/pain level.

Any insight would be much appreciated.. I'll post an update in a few hours.
|
Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...