Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hemorrhoids Forum

My Hemorrhoidectomy recovery experience

Hi there, this is my first time posting to a forum of any kind regarding this issue, I have however read countless stories from all different places (over 99% horror stories) in the last couple of years.

This post is to share my personal experience, answer any questions and also to get some feed back from people who have had the procedure done also. Forgive me in advance for the long post but I am trying to be as detailed as possible.

First of all, I am a 33 years old male, 5’6 and 110 lbs. I have suffered from hemorrhoids since my teen years but within the last few years they have seriously affecting my life. I had 2 very large grade 3 internal, 2 external hemorrhoids and an extremely painful anal fissure. I had the 2 internal ones banded in April of last year but it didn’t work.

My surgeon suggested that I do a complete Hemorrhoidectomy of int and ex hemorrhoids along with a sphinterotomy, HOWEVER, I have decided not to do the sphincterotomy because I was afraid of getting incontinence.

DAY 1: I woke up in recovery at 6:00pm in excruciating pain, was given dilaudid thru IV with no relief and again about 15 mins later and then fentanyl about 10 mins after that and then 10mg of oxycodone by mouth, all which didn’t even touch the pain. I was then taken back to my room to get discharged. While waiting for the discharge nurse I decided to try to urinate but only a few drops came out. I then Signed my discharge papers and was wheeled out to my car and my father drove me home. During the car ride home (about 20 mins) the pain was still the same, I got home around 8:00pm, took stool softeners and ran a bath which offered some welcomed relief, repeated the bath about 30 mins later, ate some soup and crackers and took my second dose of 10mg of oxycodone and 1,000mg of Tylenol at 10:00pm. As I am writing this post it is 11:30pm and am in the bath again (3rd Time since I’ve been home). I Also would like to add that I am using extremely hot water because that seems to help better but am wondering if that could be harmful to the surgical area (any input would be greatly appreciated). The pain meds make me really tired but am not able to sleep for more than 15 mins because the pain wakes me up.

All in all so far it is every bit as painful as advertised and i ABSOLUTELY DREAD when I have to have my first bowel movement. I am hoping that this doesn’t become one of those horror stories but so far it has been. But on the bright side, it has only been about 6 hours post op.

I will be updating this frequently so feel free to any questions.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 7th, 2018
Haemorrhoid paid relief in 1 day!!
Hello,
I'm so sorry to hear about your horror story. Trust me I have been in that same boat. As of this moment I still have haemorrhoid but no pain at all.

It was about 4 months ago, one day I woke up with a slight pain in my ass and the morning was very hard for me during the first bowel movement. It was very painful as it felt like someone was shoving a 50 inches of rod up my butt. I however brushed off the pain thinking that it was just some pain cause by sitting longer hours during my day job and the pain will disappear in a couple of days. Boy was I not only wrong but the pain started to get worse. Everyday the pain was getting worse so I finally call my health clinic to set up an appointment and after the check up I was told that I have an external haemorrhoid. Before this I had no idea about haemorrhoid. My doctor told me that I have two external Haemorrhoid and he prescribed me Proctosol 2.5 for topical use. After using this, the pain was subsided but never completely remove my pain off.

The pain was still there and I was always worried about toilet visit. During this 4 months I did a lot of research but in vain. The pain will get worse after the morning bowel movement and will cause throbbing pain that would last for 5-6 hours. Due to this pain, I was not able to focus on both of my job and school. This was greatly affecting my lifestyle. During my research, every forum would tell me that I need to eat plenty of fibre and water and avoid food that would constipate my stool. Since then I starting food that has higher fiber contents. This helped me during the bowel movement but the pain lingered. Please note that if you have a lot of pain, then sit in the hot water bath with epsom salt for 20 minutes for immediate relief. All in all, I was in an excruciating pain yesterday, and during my google search I was luck to stumble in one of the forum that said Raw apple cider vinegar is a natural and very good way to cure Haemorrhoid. So I hopped in my car and went to the grocery store. I bought a bottle of the raw apple cider vinegar (I used Bragg brand) and some cotton balls. I got home and added 1 table spoon of the vinegar and diluted it with 5 table spoon of water. Please make sure you dilute the vinegar, otherwise the acidity will burn your skin and will worsen the pain. I soaked the cotton ball and stuck it in my buttocks. Just about in 1 hour the pain was gone. I repeated the process before going to bed at night and replaced it in the morning. This morning I had zero pain during the bowel movement. I have no pain the whole day. I'm so happy that the pain was gone in just 1 day. To be fair, my pain until yesterday was 9 out of 10; and today its less than 1 out of 10.

Therefore, I highly recommend you to give it a shot before the surgery. Let me know how did it go for you. All the best.

The11Zebras
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Recovery
Quick Reply