Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

My friend doesn't like eating, What can i do?

I have a very close friend and she doesn't like to eat because she is body conscious. I do my best to try and get her to eat by making her little things such as peanutbutter on toast, and if she says she wants somthing to eat i will get or make what ever she fancies. She will normall eat a small amount a day for a few days and then feel bad so stops completely again. What can i do because i am worried about her and her future health.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Hi Gibbinsuk and welcome to ehealth: First, I do want to compliment you for being such a good friend...Believe me, friends like you are hard to find...I would say to continue doing what you are doing...Stress the importance of a healthy diet...Try and see if she may be purging as this makes it worse...If she continues on this track and is losing weight then talk to her...If she is young then tell her to talk to her folks about this...If this doesn't work then tell her to see her school counselor or seek some help...Keep on top of it...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied February 7th, 2012
I do stress the importance of a healthy diet as do her parents but she doesnt listen, im not sure on weight but she is a size 8 and around 5' 11" I know she isnt purging normally, I live with her and spend most of the non working day with her so i would know if she was. The only time she has is after not eating at all for a few weeks and then having a 12" take away pizza. she is 24 years old and wont go and see the doctor or anyone that could help because she knows what they are going to say to her as she has seen a nutritionist years ago. I dont know what else i can do to try and get her to eat even a little ammount every day to start with.
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Hi again: She does have a problem, but is in denial...Thankfully her parents are also aware of this...Hopefully either one of you will be able to get her to some program that deals with people with eating problems...They are around your area and you may be able to find them by checking with a clinic or your local hospital....All you can do is to try and help...This is a sickness that develops into an addiction...Very hard to break....She should get help...Take care...

Caroline
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....