Medical Questions > Relationships > Pets and Animals Forum

My dog passed on and when can I move on?

User Profile
Hi, need a place to put this out there. My beloved 18 year old dog had to be put down last Saturday. I had to make the decision Thursday eve., when her back legs were starting to spasm. She had been off her food for a week or so and I was hand feeding her steak and stuff; then I started giving her opiates for a few days, but it was her time. It is a week to the day that I had to make that decision and it is a beautiful day out and I am just locked inside alone away from the world. I know you will say she lived a long and happy life and she did, but to me it was like putting a child to death (sleep for good Crying or Very sad ). I held her as she passed. To me it is like grief for a human, but I don't want to go on the forum sight for people out of respect, all of those posts are to do with humans. I prefer animals to many humans...
At any rate, I supposed she will meet me when I go some day, in the mean time Grandma is meeting her and looking over her for me and cooking for her. That is what I would like to believe. Whenever I cryed in the past she was there to see what was wrong, now I wonder if she is near by trying to give me encouragement to be happy without her and enjoy my younger dog that couldn't be more different from her. I know all this intellectually, I just emotionally don't know where I should be and I have a very active imagination as an artist so I don't know, time will heal, I will never heal, just deal? Anyone...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Losing a beloved pet is hard. In a short span we lost our Sam and then Homer (Dauchaund & Beagle)...those two were two peas in a pod.

I had a beloved cat who was dying of kidney disease and there was nothing that could be done other than to put her to sleep. Like you, I held her through the process until she took her last breath. Tears flowed for weeks everytime I thought of her. My husband made her casket and every time I visit our flower garden (she loved plants) I know that she is OK.

You will heal. It may take time. Each one is different.

I missed Sam and Homer so much that I filled the void too quickly and that did not work out...found it another home. Waited a year and now we have our beloved 10 month old Jack Russell...she joined our family @ 10 weeks.

Honestly, my life would be dull without this red-headed spit fire named Lucy to keep me in stitches Smile

Heal through your artistic work...give it a try.

There are days that I would prefer animals vs. humans...

Zig
|
Users who thank zigemyster for this post: uhlizza 

replied August 21st, 2009
I hear and understand you. 7 years ago my dog Skruffy a rottie had to be put down. I diden't sleep for 3 nights straight, and hen I did I had dreams about her coming back. I was so lost. Slwoly after I started seing animals again I got over her. It was just unfair that she had to be put down at a year old. Use your artwork to paint your feelings, this pain will slowly go away. You will heal and I bet shes watching you, she had a long, good life and it was her time to go. This pain will go away, I promise.
|

replied October 11th, 2009
Losing an animal is the hardest thing. For me, the first week is spent in bed then I gradually reclaim my life again, but I never stop feeling the loss. It's different for everyone and to some extent, the same. No one can tell you how to feel or designate you a place to be emotionally. Deal with what you're ready to only when you're ready. The only think I can tell you is not to neglect your other dog in the meantime. They have lost someone too and our dogs need us even when we feel we're not in a place to be there. So in that sense, you do have to suck it up a bit. Whenever I lose an animal, just being around other animals helps me through it. Try playing with your dog. It's good to get their minds off of it before too much time has passed. It also helps to vent artistically. Devote something you've created to your loss. It gives them a lasting affect and allows you to acknowledge your emotions beyond crying.
|

replied January 13th, 2010
i thionk you should be just where you are now: sad, but trying to deal. talking about it, trying to relate. losing your best friend is so, so hard, but you take life by the balls you! Smile she would want you to (try and be) happy. happiness does also have part choice in there too, you know. i know you can do it!
|

replied January 18th, 2010
Experienced User
I do wish you the very best deepest condulances. I lost my four legged child a few years ago. Everybody said I would get over it but, I have not. It has changed though. I do not almost stroke out thinking about him anymore. (just don't talk to me on a certain date) I now concentrate on all the years we had together and know that he was very happy.
I also dreampt about him not that long ago. Wow did he have a lot to say. LOL I woke up knowing he was happy and still loves me. It was one of the most peaceful sleeps I have had in a very long time and I woke up smiling.
He and I were inseperable and if I could be an artist I would use that talent to honor him.
I also do agree don't let your grief affect your other dog because they are siblings or mates and that dog is grieving. The more you grieve the more stress it will put on the one still here in person.
There is absolutely every chance that Grandma is watching over you not over your dog. Your dog will now be looking out for you as well as Grandma. Where they are they do not need to be watched over but, become the ones to watch over us.
I have no idea how long you will hurt. I just know that it changes. It is perfectly normal to feel the way you do. Creative outlook is very helpful also. You might just have a 'lightbulb moment' after your project is compleated.
Warmest Wishes going out to you in your time of need, bamm
(I prefer animals to humans many times also)
|