My pregnant dog disappeared this morning and I couldn't find her for hours. When I finally did find her, I also found that she had had her puppies. There were 6 in all but 5 of them were dead. 3 of them were flattened like pancakes, I think she sat on them and suffocated them. So there is only one living puppy and she will not feed it unless I'm sitting there making her feed it. Also almost every time I check on her, she is sitting on the puppy. She doesn't seem to know what to do and she's acting really strange. So when do I say enough is enough and take the puppy away to care for it myself?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 4th, 2013
Ugh. Get the dog spayed and stop adding to pet over population. I very much doubt you're taking temperament and health into consideration. In fact, I don't know. I know you're not from your message.
|

replied November 30th, 2013
How old is the mama? Sometimes they just truly don't know what to do with their babies. That's why sometimes dogs and cats will actually eat their babies. They don't mean to be evil, it just happens sometimes. If it is a young mother, think of an 8 year old having a baby. Even if that 8 year old meant well, do you really think baby would get everything he/she needed if that 8 year old had never dealt with a baby before? She would probably be trying to feed the baby ramen noodles and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Just saying. Mental delays DO exist in dogs weather others choose to recognize it or not. I have had one with these for over 7 years now. She is a challenge, although loving to everyone and so sweet. If your dog has delays like this it could be happening. At any rate, whatever the reason, I would be seeing if I could find another mother animal to nurse the pup. Another dog would be primo, but isn't necessarily the only way to go. Animals don't get hung up on things like we do and it's not uncommon for one species to nurse another. I found a mama cat to take in a couple orphan kittens that were dying and they actually managed to survive. Good luck to you
|

replied March 16th, 2014
As a vet assistant and animal carer let me firstly just state your dog is not a bad mother but you are a bad owner for not noticing signs of nesting. A dog doesnt decide to get pregnant and most are unsure how to deal with puppies she might be trying to feed and may have in fact rolled on the babies, its extremely normal and actually happens a lot. (Also tryinbutfrustated, they actually eat babies as they have a fear action kinda like a flight action they eat the puppies as they fear of others harming them or them not being safe which is horrible happens a lot with smaller animals like rodents, ie mice, hamsters rats.) You need to take the puppy away and hand feed on lactol (a milk supplement with the special bottle that comes with it) its not her fault she lakes the power to mother its hard on dogs, most didnt spend enough time with thier own dam (mother) to gain the skills needed (pups should be left with parents until 12 weeks atleast!) most puppymills/pet shops sell pups as young as 6 weeks hence the issues! Its honestly like taking a kid from ther parents at a few weeks old, leaving them without human contact until they have their own baby... anyway the best of luck with your dog and puppy, and please get them spayed too many dogs in the world homeless as is.
|
Tags: pregnant
Quick Reply