Medical Questions > Relationships > Pets and Animals Forum

My dog follows me everywhere

User Profile
We recently moved into a new home about 3 weeks ago. We have 1 inside dog. I was wonder.

My question is why does she follow me everywhere I go? Literally. If i go into the closet she's right there by the door. I mopped the house today and she followed me every where walking where it was wet.

Any room i'm in she will find somewhere to be comfortable. As long as she is in a room with me she is fine. But if I lock her out she will whimper. Anytime I leave to go to work or to the store I put her in her kennel.

Just wondering why. Could it be the new environment she's in? If so, how long does it take the to get use to a new environment.

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 17th, 2010
Supporter
I think it is the new environment. There is no way to know how long it will take for her to adjust. Just try to make her as comfortable as possible. You could try sleeping with a towel, blanket or other item to get your scent on them, then place it on the dog's bed, kennel, or play area. Walk with her around the yard and property so she knows what her new territory is. Talk to her comfortingly when you leave the room so she does not feel alone. You may want to research information about how to confort new puppies as many of the same techniques would be helpful in your situation.
God luck.
|

User Profile
replied September 17th, 2010
Supporter
Thanks for your response!

She is a full grown dog! Not a puppy! I do take her around the yard as well as let her do her own thing while I'm watching her. Werid thing is she Ioves to go outside but she doesn't want me to leave her sight.

Everything u said is right b/c at our previous residence she was very comfortable. I was able to leave her inside our bedroom all day and she would just chill in her bed or our bed! She use to have a friend (we had a 2nd dog) but he ran away and I know she had a hard time dealing with it. It's been about 3 months since it happen.

I just have to be patient with her and she'll adjust. We been inbthr new home for 3 weeks now so it will take while.

Thanks again!
|

replied September 9th, 2011
Well he follows you alot becouse he knows ur his owner ! He really loves you I KNOW this becouse i just got my shih tzu puppy and he follows me everywere no one else in my family ! well thats a good sigh you guys are really close! Wink
|

replied September 9th, 2011
When You ,go to work you chould just go normally becouse your puppy will get use to it and know that S/he Will have to stop scrying
|

replied June 22nd, 2012
Its just what some dogs do my mom has a Yorkie and she will go every where if my mom goes out side she will sit at the door or window. She will also run out the doggie door and look out the fence for her. my om cant shower with out the dog laying out side the bathroom door. She even will jump in her lap while shes watching TV and sleep there. Our other Yorkie we had did the same thing. As was said before your the owner the dog just wants to be with you. Its kinda like a little kid. The dogs not even a puppy and this is not a new environment, the dogs been there scene we first got her as a puppy. So your fine theirs nothing wrong.
|

replied February 15th, 2013
Look up and read about Separation Anxeity in dogs . It's a common problem
which often is accompanied by destructive behavior when your gone. Try coming
and going in and out of the house and Do Not Make a big deal about leaving or
coming home. Actually it's best to ignore the dog totally when doing so.
Supercoop
|
Quick Reply