Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

My diagnosis today - nerve pain not sinusitis?

Hi all I am desperately confused. All my life I have suffered sinusitis and when I was 9 I had them drained and tissue cut out. Last 12 years the pain has got worse and my GP would not refer me instead he gave me antibiotics, sprays, nose drops, all with short term benefits before the pain started again.

I changed GP 6 months ago and they referred me to ENT of which I had my appointment today. I had a camera inserted up my nose and they also refered to a CT scan I had recently. The doctor said good news there is no problem with my sinusis, no infection no inflamation. He said it is nerve pain and can be treated with a painkiller which my GP will manage. He never told me it was an anti-depressent!
Well I am just blown by all this, I have spent years on pills unnecessary and I dont understand his brief explaination that it is nerve pain I have tried googling but really I am just puzzled by it all. In addition I am not sure I want to take anti-depressents? Please can anyone help?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper JennyB35
|

replied February 19th, 2013
Hi, I also have been suffering for 3 months with dizziness, pain, numbness, headache, ive had nose steroid sprays, antibiotics and I went back yesterday and was told it was the nerves in my face that are causing it, I have been prescribed nerve tablets which also have been known to be used for anti depressants, my gp explained that they are only using this as it has been developed and used very well to help with the nerve pain and etc. think they are called amitriptyline, I've only taken my first last night so don't know if it will work but ill try as i cant cope with this. If u do take, make sure you take at night they can make you drowsy. Hope this helps. Smile x
|

replied May 2nd, 2013
Any new news on this subject? I'm experiencing the same symptoms. I've had the problem maybe once or twice a season the last several years. Each time was short term. Sometimes I would have a terrible head ache and after sometime would actually hear the pressure release from my sinus and then symptoms would vanish. Tomorrow will be a week since my face has been numb and my sinus' seem ok. I'm not sure if my left sinus is full or not but it doesn't really seem to be. I'm also very frustrated with this. Any new info would be appreciated.
|

replied May 2nd, 2013
Any new news on this subject? I'm experiencing the same symptoms. I've had the problem maybe once or twice a season the last several years. Each time was short term. Sometimes I would have a terrible head ache and after sometime would actually hear the pressure release from my sinus and then symptoms would vanish. Tomorrow will be a week since my face has been numb and my sinus' seem ok. I'm not sure if my left sinus is full or not but it doesn't really seem to be. I'm also very frustrated with this. Any new info would be appreciated.
|
Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....