Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

My Dad has had Stroke whilst having a hip replacement operation

It is assumed the stroke happened whilst under the general anesthetic for the hip replacement, when in recovery a nurse noticed his mouth drooping and that his speech was slurred. The doctors aren't able to give him the blood thinning drug they normally give to stroke patients because of his hip wound, it would cause him to bleed to death. He as at risk of another stroke, what can be done to help him? (taking into account that he has heart problems [had a triple heart bypass] and has bladder cancer in remmission)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 6th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
I am a bit confused. Anticoagulants are standard medications to give following hip surgery to prevent clots and subsequent problem, including stroke, associated with clot formation. I would question the doctor further on this. Either you don't have enough information or there is some other reason for not using anticoagulants after his surgery.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....