Medical Questions > Relationships > Relationships and Marriage Forum

my boyfriend's mom wont accept that he's not a little boy

okay...my boyfriend is very close with him mom.They dont live together so they have more of a friend type relationship.They tell each other alot of things and its just a very close relationship that they have.I think thats great.There is nothing wrong with that...i am very close with my mom too.But the thing is,is that she doesnt realize that he's not a baby anymore.He is 18 years old.He's still in highschool and everything but he's technically grown.He's had girlfriends before...but im his first real girlfriend..
ive met his mom..
ive basically met his whole family.
and he's met my mom 2.
and im pretty sure his family likes me.He told me that they do and he told me his mom likes me. and we went to run erins and everything together but here lately its like she's more like his girlfriend than his mom.Okay for example;i went to his football game the other day and when he came out i gave him a hug and what not and i walked away to let him talk to his mom for a while...then after that he came to talk to me..then a lil later i guess his mom rolled her eyes at him and walked away like she was mad. he went to chase after her to tell her bye..and later on he told me that she said she felt like he was ignoring her and only focusing on me. i didnt understand that. and then the other night we were on the phone and his mom came to his house and she made a comment saying that i took justin away from her..but she was joking when she said it but i knew she felt it. and then i told him id call him bak so he could talk to her...i felt lik he should. then i got back on the phone and he told me that she told him to tell me she was sorry she took his time from me...but i knew she meant it as sarcasm. but its crazy because she is a really sweet woman and i understand thats her only son but gosh...its not that serious. your gone have to deal with it eventually. shes not over protective..but she jus treats him lik a child,for instance one time we went out to eat with a group of friends n she walked him into the restaurant and told him to call her and blah blah and kissed him and told him to be good and this and that...just unnecessary stuff. and like...my mom started dropping me off when i was like 12...i think 18 is a tad bit rediculous. and i really dont want her to think im trying to take him away from her or anything.thats not the case. and she thinks we talk 24/7 and he spends all his time with me...but its like...okay, we dont go to the same school so we barely see each other until the weekend. and he has football practice like all day after school and other things he has to do so i only talk to him when i get a chance..and it jus so happens that eveyrthie we do talk...thats when she wants to show up or call..so she thinks we talk 24/7. and sometimes i cant see him on the weekend so we try to spend as much time as we can together..and he lives in the country and i liv in the city so its no that convenient. but i really want her to continue to like me...idk what to do..because im not goin to just stop talking to him for his mom.and he doesnt want to either.he says it doesnt matter...but it does to me!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper justinsgirl21
|

User Profile
replied December 9th, 2008
Supporter
Sooner or later she will have to step back and let him go. I'm sure she realises this. Maybe she feels he's still a bit young you know. I mean he's only 18 and will always be her baby boy but there comes a time when a women steps back and realises her baby boy has grown up. same thing happened with my step mum & my brother only I don't think she had such a prob with it. . Just understand it may be hard for her and even harder cos he doesn't live with her. Good luck. I hope things get easier for you soon....xo
|

replied December 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Honey, sometimes the Mother of a good looking jock has a hard time separating being the Mother and the "other woman"....It is not a sexual turn on but a return to youth....She is seeing in him a part of herself that is filled with pride yet at the same time fears losing him to this "other woman"......Being the Mother of a son that could have modeled for the statue of David, I know where she lives....

Just be kind to her and accept her.....She is lonely and he is still her baby.....

Take care,
Caroline
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2009
Supporter
it sounds like he's a momma's boy just like my ex b/f. it's not her, it is your b/f because he's allowing his mom to do thoes things.

my ex called his mom everyday while living with me, he cried to her when we were having problems. and that caused more issues in our relationship.

my mom married a mommas boy also, and his mom lived across the street, she would walk in there house while they were making love, she got into their arguements, he took his mom's advice over his wife. his mom was buying his boxers.
if i ever meet a mommas boy, i would run away.

since he is so young all i can say is "if you can't beat em, join em"
|