Medical Questions > Relationships > Relationships and Marriage Forum

cheating boyfriend depressed or bipolar ?

Hi I am 27 and I recently found out that my boyfriend has been cheating on me with multiple people. To start off, we have had a very rocky relationship from the start where he had just come out of a 7 yr relationship with his ex. We were together for 4 years and I realized he had a hard time committing to me. I understood that he was scared of failure again. I noticed that each woman he cheated on me with knew of the problems we had. He took the time to go in great detail with them. Now I don't know if it was a ploy to get them into bed feeling sorry for him or if he was trying to find a reason to be in bed with another woman. What was his motivation and why did he talk so negativley about me when he always tells me he loves me and cares for me? Is it possible he might be depressed or bipolar?

Please help...any feedback would be helpful.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile annonymoose
|

replied March 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Not necessarily. When you get a man on the rebound you are playing with fire. Just coming off of a marriage or relationship always seems to bring trouble. But, there are those that make it just fine. It could be that he still has feelings for his X and is unsure of any relationship right now. I would have to venture to say that does not mean he is Bipolar, just unsure right now of anything.

Carrie
|

replied July 20th, 2011
I have bipolar and I do not cheat. There are many of us like that. If someone cheats and blames their illness, then get away.
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2011
Experienced User
I agree with you, friend1977, if he is using a bipolar disorder for cheating, he is still thinking about- he's not schizophrenic. bipolar disorder is just rapid mood changes, not a multiple personality disorder. get out asap
|

replied September 16th, 2011
i think as a bipolar they always cheat.i have the experience this guy when he met his first gf they lived together.when g1 is not ther he wants to met the g2.when g1 leaved this guy he looked another g3.as a bipolar i think they always want different women.until now that guy he always cheated his new gf when he lost the 3 girls.better to loose a cheater than he always hurt your feelings for what his doing
|

User Profile
replied September 17th, 2011
Experienced User
I'm sorry to say this, but your post made absolutely no sense to me..
|

replied January 2nd, 2014
Prromiscuity can be a sign of bi polar disorder but there are many other signs as well
Is he sleeping 3 hours and feeling fully rested? Or speaking very quicky which is called pressured speech?
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are neither consistent with depression nor with bipolar disorder.
However, it could be due to personality disorder.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Relationships and Marriage , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.