Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

My boss has paranoid schizophrenia

I want to start off by saying I know very little about the illness and am just here to get a better understanding. Recently my boss started acting more paranoid than usual (claiming everybody was trying to kill her and spies were everywhere). Two days later they attempted taking their own life 4 different ways in one night, all attempts failing fortunately. They are now in a hospital getting help and their job is waiting for them to return to it when ready. Their job is stressful and I am worried about the effects of the stress on their illness when they do return and a lot of What If's, ie. they stop taking their medication or attempt to take their life again. Would it be smart to suggest a Psychiatrist to come in and speak to everyone who works there on what to expect?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2010
Experienced User
That's great that you want to help! I think educating everyone would be a great and helpful idea. If your boss is in the hospital (psychiatric?) hopefully they're also getting ideas on how to handle those feelings and cope with certain stress. Some psychiatrists in hospitals make adjustments to meds if needed.
Paranoid schizophrenia is a chronic mental illness in which reality is interpreted abnormally (psychosis). People experience hallucinations. When your boss thought people were out to kill him/her they might have been having auditory hallucinations. Here are a list of symptoms:

* Auditory hallucinations, such as hearing voices
* Delusions, such as believing a co-worker wants to poison you
* Anxiety
* Anger
* Aloofness
* Violence
* Verbal confrontations
* Patronizing manner
* Suicidal thoughts and behavior

If they do try to take their life again (your what if's) don't hesitate to call 911 or emergency services. Best of luck and I hope everything works out for the best for all of you!
|
Users who thank LiftmeUp for this post: greenlee 

replied December 7th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
All of those symptoms you are mentioning don't really tell the whole story.

Aloofness, do you know why?

Delusions, why?

This is very strange, it's hidden in plain sight, and no one knows it, I suppose they couldn't though, it's invisible.
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2010
Experienced User
Everyone is different so I think it depends. I can only speak from my experience as bipolar and friend's schizophrenia and my knowledge of it.

It also depends on that person's lifestyle and even back to childhood sometimes. I've had bouts of paranoia from bad psychotic drug reactions. There are also people who don't tell the whole truth about what they're using/abusing.
Delusions can be something they've seen before or are afraid of, that become "real".
|

replied October 3rd, 2013
School Superintendent with mental disorder
Should the Superintendent of a school district be allowed back into the district if he/she has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and has experienced "melt downs" on the campus? I am afraid for my children since she has threatened some of the principals. And, due to FMLA,ADA and privacy acts the School Board is unable to take action per her attorney.
|

replied October 3rd, 2013
School Superintendent with mental disorder
Should the Superintendent of a school district be allowed back into the district if he/she has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and has experienced "melt downs" on the campus? I am afraid for my children since she has threatened some of the principals. And, due to FMLA,ADA and privacy acts the School Board is unable to take action per her/him attorney. The local school board is trying to accommodate her/him but he/she is hearing voices, screaming, slamming things and due to the law (attorney) they are not even allowed to discuss her/his illness for fear of being sued. And, the board president is her/his best friend and is hiding things and refusing to take action. Your thoughts and advice please!
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2013
Experienced User
For this paranoid schizophrenia, often because they do not cooperate with treatment, affecting treatment of the patient in order to persuade mainly diagnosed after the disease to drug treatment, because Schizophrenia is a recurrent disease, compared easy to relapse of the disease, so the use of traditional western medicine can only be controlled, can not achieve good therapeutic effect. Experts recommend using Chinese medicine for patients overall regulation, and on this basis, typing symptomatic treatment, there will be a very good therapeutic effect, a large part of the patient is clinically cured! Treatment of schizophrenia should go to regular professional medical organizations.
|
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....