Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

My belly is swollen but it's not hard yet it's not soft

Hello I'm 23 and suffer with pcos. 3 years ago I had and ectopic pregnancy and had my left fallopian tube removed. I have very irregular period but for the past year or so they seemed to of regulated themselves but for the past 2 months I haven't had one. Just over a week ago by belly swelled right out as if I'm about 7 months pregnant ( there is no chance of me being pregnant) it's quite firm but not rock hard, it doesn't cause me any pain maybe just a bit of discomfort now and again. When I get up in the morning my stomach looks normal almost flat for about 1 minute then it comes right out again and it's like that all day. Do anyone have any idea what this could be? I have all sorts of things running through my head like maybe ivery just suddenly put on weight or it could be one of the many problems that comes with pcos. I am awaiting more tests but problems with my bowels has now been ruled out.
Thanks so much to anyone that can help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 27th, 2016
Welcome to e health forum.

From the description of your symptoms, it seems that you may be having Irritable bowel syndrome.

Irritable bowel syndrome IBS, is a functional disorder characterized by cramping abdominal pain or discomfort with alterations in bowel habits (bloating, constipation, and / or diarrhea).

IBS does not cause any permanent damage or any serious illness but the symptoms cause severe discomfort & distress affecting an individuals work, ability to travel and attend social events.

IBS is actually a diagnosis of exclusion, and should be considered as possible cause only if all other possible medical conditions have been ruled out.

The history of significant loss of weight, along with other symptoms can be indicator of other undiagnosed gastrointestinal condition (Malabsorption syndromes). Without such symptoms you need not worry about such issues.

Most symptoms of IBS can be controlled with diet, stress management, and prescribed medications (laxatives, antidiarrheals, antispasmodics, or antidepressants).

In your case, your symptoms of bloating can be reduced by proper diet change.

Medications like activated charcoal (Charcocaps, charcoal tablets) can help to reduce the symptoms of bloating, belching, etc as they absorb the excess gases produced in the intestine.

Consulting your psychiatrist and managing your anxiety disorder can also help in improving your symptoms associated with IBS.

I hope this helps.
|

replied April 27th, 2016
Hi thanks for your reply.
The doctors have put me on ibs tablets as a precaution and said if it was this then my belly will go down within a couple of days. After taking them for over a week my belly just seems to be getting bigger and told me I got to go into hospital for more tests.
I'm really confused
|
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.