Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

My baby put poop in her mouth

I was folding laundry and baby was playing on floor with me and i noticed she had something in her mouth. My cat Accidentally dropped a piece of poop on the carpet because it was stuck to her and my 9 month old put it in her mouth. I caught it before she swallowed it, or so i think but I am still concerned. I rinsed out her mouth but wonder if I need to do anything else. My cats have never gone outside. I just want to see if I should follow up with pediatrician or watch for signs of diarrhea or something. My baby is exclusively breastfed and the idea of her even having feces in her mouth freaks me out. Iam slightly afraid to nurse her and a little well a lot grossed out
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 30th, 2013
Extremely eHealthy
Babies explore their world by putting stuff in their mouths. Their sense of taste and smell aren't fully developed and they have no inhibitions and so it isn't unusual for them to explore the contents of the litter tray and taste stuff.

While mothers need eyes in their backsides and must never relax their vigilance for an instant it is equally important they don't overreact and cause emotional damage or irrational fears in their infants.

Cat-pooh is particularly nasty stuff, especially if the cat is on a meat-rich diet but babies are mostly hardier than most people recognise or allow for.
I expect you acted in time and normal vigilance will be sufficient and medical advice needed only if there is evidence of food poisoning.

Not sure why you should be afraid to nurse her or why you should be grossed out though. These sort of irrational fears can soon be passed on to baby...
|

replied November 16th, 2013
I hope you acted in time and showed concern towards your babies health.Because this could cause food poisoning as well.
|

replied November 18th, 2013
Don't know how all you see this issue.But i get very concerned with these types of problems with my kids at home.
|
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....